Qatar University

Qatar University Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Research Assistant13 reviews
Qatar13 reviews

Lovely environment of science and its implementation

Qatar University is an interactive place with diversity in nationalities, mentalities, and backgrounds. It is a place you can learn and express your skills at the same time. The willingness to work towards the prosperity of the organization is the vision of each member of the team.

Pleasant

Am glad I worked there,its an amazing country to be and also to work . Learnt a lot was when I was there both academically and morally, there is time for family and work,it doesn't affect each other.

Pros

Everything was up to standard

Cons

Nil

Great research experience

Innovation and freedom to design and decide how to approach problems and resolve them. Journal and conference publications were helpful in finding future jobs.

A day at QU

- 8am at work - 2:30 pm leave work - Often work from home I've learned how to apply my university knowledge of dynamics to computational modelling. It was a slow process but I'm grateful for it. Management was disastrous. HR were NOT cooperative or understanding and unorganized at best. So many complications occurred with respect to my employment as a result of an uncoordinated system. I worked months where I didn't receive pay till my contract ended. The hardest part about the job was the working environment. Both physically and mentally. The rooms were researchers worked in consisted of cubicles with minimal windows and natural light. For me that was intolerable and sometimes there were days where I'd rather work from home. Also electronic communication between colleagues and academic staff was ineffective and often I would not receive responses for weeks and reaching them at their offices wasn't an option due to their timetables. The most enjoyable part were the meetings when I'd sit with my supervisors and they will explain something to me or give me feedback on my work so far, stirring me into a direction I can envision.

Challenging and fun

Working at the Biomedical research center at Qatar University was a great opportunity. I learned a lot about research labs, surrounded by a great group of people that made everyday work exciting.

It is a great place to work and get experience.

Great place of work, with productive and encouraging environment. And you can achieve you goals and do more of research, and meet your satisfaction and expectations.

Good place to work and life balance

Being a part of Qatar University I felt good. It is welcoming all kind of race, gender, and class. It maintain diversity. It is good place to get good experience Arab culture and academic and diverse background.

Pros

Diverse and welcoming for all culture and race.

Cons

follow the Arab dress and culture, which means it is always good to keep distance with the men

One of the biggest organizations in Qatar

Qatar University is the oldest and biggest university in Qatar. I enjoyed working in big multinational team. I was excited to learn new things everyday. Although we might have tough times with extraordinary workload and deadlines, we had great time when we get acceptance for our papers.

Pros

Gain new skills

Cons

Contract benefits

Collaborative workplace

It was a pleasure to work in Qatar University. My supervisor Mohammed Samaka was very helpful and is welling to provide me with all the information that I need to work efficiently. The stuff that I worked with were very kind and helpful. The overall experience was great.

Pros

It was a great thing to work from home sometimes.

Cons

I didn't have a fixed office.

Quality education and research

I love everything about Qatar university. The environment, work culture, benefits, quality of education and research are very attractive. Being a research assistant, I highly appreciate the exposure that I got in advanced methodologies and guidance I got from my project lead.

Experiments

I learned a new things by conducting experiments and used new tools when ever I had to analyse the sample characters. such as the SEM, XRD, microhardness, electrodeposition coating, metal-matrix compaction and others more. I also learned how to write a scientific manuscript, in which two I had wrote are under reviews and ready to be published.

individual progress

when you work in research you basically work for your adviser. most of the professors are busy all the time and that is what can i say about mine. the supervision was minimum and thus i could not advance in my research

Productive work place

I have been working as a research associate on a project funded by the Qatar National Research Fund entitled Arabic speech understanding: a hybrid approach since November 2012 (the project itself has been running for longer than that, but I joined late after the previous Research Assistant left). My role on this project has been to investigate the impact of various pre-processing algorithms on the accuracy of the speech recognizer that we are using within this project. The work that I have carried out has come in two parts: the first part involved using various techniques to identify properties of the speech signal which allow us to group speakers into groups which share some characteristics (fast/slow speakers, speakers with flat/marked intonation patterns and so on) to see whether using such subgroups to train the recognizer improves its performance. The second has been concerned with applying a variety of noise reduction algorithms to the training and test data. One of the original goals of the project was to see whether we could use data recorded under everyday conditions (i.e. with a variety of laptop microphones, in ordinary office conditions rather than in soundproofed recording studios), since this is how speech recognition and understanding systems will be deployed. To this end, we needed to see the effects of the various standard noise reduction algorithms, since an algorithm reduces the noise perceived by a human may or may not be helpful for a speech recognition system.

Pros

Free Transport, Health care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qatar University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Qatar University Reviews by Location