Qatar University

Qatar University Employee Reviews for Lecturer

Lecturer6 reviews
Qatar6 reviews

Nice work place with competitive package

Nice work place with competitive package, a nice place to live and work with family. Kids like this place a lot and don't want to relocate if I ask them.

Qatar University is a great place to work at. Like any workplace, it has its challenges but management is usually willing to work things out with employees.

Great place to work although it is a little hot!!!

It was a great place to work. It was a more restrictive environment than the institution in the UAE that I also worked. Qatar is much more conservative which explains that. The country is a good place for young families. There were some issues with foreigners being allowed to see their wives give birth that still need to be addressed.

Pros

no tax on salaries

Cons

not enough flexibility in instruction

Get In the Right Department

There is a huge difference in an individuals experience based on their department. Overall, if you are not an Arab male, you will wait and wait and wait. Fortunately, the QU staff is very kind and they mean well.

Pros

salary, vacation days, benefits, professional development

Cons

no coverage, difficult to get professional development off campus, housing, lots of managers

Review Summary*

Like all over in middle-east and particularly in Qatar there are job slashes going on and the threat that has been linger on and is not a conducive environment to work. If there is going to be lay-off then it should all be done all at once. This is what majority thinks.

Teaching experience

At Qatar University I taught "Drafting of Business Contracts" and "Anglo-American Legal System". During my lectureship I was solely responsible for structuring both courses and setting up the examination process and marking. The instruction of Drafting of Business Contracts included drafting exercises and learning to defend a client's interests whilst negotiating commercial contracts. Most types of commercial contracts were covered (purchase, hiring, services, shipping transportation etc). The instruction of Anglo-American Legal System included an overview of the constitutional law and court structure of the US and UK legal system, as well as an introduction to substantive legal areas, such as company law, contract law, and administrative law. In the context of my academic duties, I also invited industry experts in my classes to share their first hand experience in the drafting of commercial contracts in various fields such as construction and the oil and gas industry. During this experience, I had the chance to study a number of legal areas in depth and become accustomed with their legal intricacies. I also developed a valuable set of skills, such as structured argumentation and communication skills. Moreover, I had the chance to interact with a distant culture, largely unknown to the west and develop the diplomacy and open mind to deal with novel situations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qatar University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Qatar University Reviews by Location