Northern Trust Corp.

Northern Trust Corp. Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,254 reviews

Large company with good growth opportunities.

Compensation is competitive and benefits are good. Lots of potential for growth. Some departments don't offer flexible schedule. Overall the company has a good culture.

Grounded

Good place to work for work life balanceManagement are grounded and approachableGood opportunities for juniors to navigate through the business A good balance of professionalism and personal

Too many legacy people

Too many legacy employees who have been there 30+ years and who have no new, original ideas anymore and cannot lead by example. Not very innovative, technology is atrocious. Management a bit out of touch.

Pros

Culture seems to be “employee” centric, but really depends on which mgr and LOB

Cons

Benefits, technology, innovation

A company with good pay and great culture

Number one asset of this Company is the culture. You are always feel valued. The Company strives for work life balance no matter how hard the work is.

Productive and collaborative!

This was my first job and have worked with the company for over 6 years. Within that timeframe, I was promoted 3 times. There were a lot of opportunities provided and the management was very transparent. I love the culture, everyone was kind, collaborative, and respectful.

Pros

Great career opportunities

Cons

Overtime, long hours during peak seasons

Productive and good environment

Great place to work. Best company for employee benefits. Lot of challenge in work u get to explore your skills. Transport is provided by company and food allowance

Pros

Party

Cons

Slow growth

Productive fun environment

Great company to work for good pto good life balance good insurance plan and co workers which there’s was more remote work capabilities . And more opportunity to move up in the company otherwise I would have stayed.

Depends on your group

I like my team, very supportive. Could be paid more somewhere else though. Flexibility is great and so is work/life balance but again, depends on the team you are on.

I feel this is a great company to work for. There are a lot of good benefits and there is great culture in the workplace. Competitive pay and good work life balance overall.

Who's in charge anyways?

Senior management has established separately managed business units who see no need to coordinate strategy or plans for technology and infrastructure. As a result, data and information is highly siloed and systems do not interconnect well. Revenue generating business units have ample budgets for technology and staff with a lot of redundancy but corporate functions are severely underfunded and under-resourced. Best to seek roles in the business units.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Northern Trust Corp.?

Good amount of trainings provided, a lot of work based skills can be acquired

Overall a good company in terms of salary and incentives, but too much of work pressure and low work life balance , at the end you can use this as your advantage of pressure for future endeavours.

Pros

Good set of trainings

Cons

A good place to work but comparitvely salary is low compared to industry. You will have great learning but EOD you will not feel happy about the salary they give.

Worked for this company for 19 years plus. In those years my position was underpaid, overlooked, and not respected as I should have been as my peers were.

Pros

Diverse

Cons

Poor Management

Good place to work and learn

Good place to work and learnManagement is supportiveGrowth comes here with staying active at work and communication happening in emails and various learning session

Great for networking.

Lots of opportunities to transfer between teams to broaden your knowledge. Yearly appraisal with bonus and pay rise. Opportunities to progress within a team also.

Average place to work

Too much politics!! If you are on the good side you will be saved. Or else you will be screwed . Over all experience is average but company is awesome.. Look for a good team

Stressful workplace

Currently working at Northern Trust since last year, I find the volume of work extremely overloading and too much for a junior employee similar to myself. I receive little to no help from my manager and team leader when asked and this can lead to a lot of overtime, missed deadlines, etc. Staff turnover is also very high leading to a shortage of staff on some teams.

Pros

VHI benefits, salary increase after a year.

Cons

Long hours, stressful work, lack of knowledge.

Most inefficient workplace

Whole company culture needs an overhaul. Often felt like an outsider as the were many many cliques which created a bad atmosphere. Job was senseless and their systems were appalling in their functionality. No reward for hard workers, managers often left you in the dark.

Pros

Getting paid

Cons

Bad culture. No sense of fun or room for creative thinking. Lots of cliques. Thankless work.

Depending on the department you know what needs to be done.

Been with the company 5 years and was only promoted once due to lack of advancement ability. Manager has favorites and will make it known if you’re in their circle. Manager will yell at you over the phone and then try to track back to make it seem like it never happened. If you try to report it would get told you have no proof.

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

Pay, hostile environment, section manager, retaliation

Good place to start career

The people are really really nice. The office is really nice and the views of Chicago will never get old. The office environment can feel toxic at times, depending on department. Management is very stubborn and I personally don't have hope that things will change with regards to retaining talent. Can feel like the company doesn't care about your learning develpment depending on team/department.

Pros

- Good work/life balance, you rarely if ever have to work after 5pm, - Flexibility, just get job done, - You won't get fired unless you try, - People are nice, - Nice view of Chicago from office

Cons

- Little Structure, - Progression feels slow, - Lack of transparency, - Don't learn much, - I personally spent months literally not doing anything which hindered learning, - A lot of complaints about compensation from employees

A busy and growth focused business

Enjoyed my time here. Busy department but enjoyable. Company are open to improvement in process which made me feel valued. Pension is above industry standard.

Pros

Great salary and talented management.

Cons

Long hours and as a large organisation it can take time to replace leavers or process change.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Trust Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • Northern Trust Corp.
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?