Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

Showing all 4,704 reviews

Good Work Environment, but say goodbye to your social life

My team at Morgan Stanley was fantastic, probably one of the tightest knit teams that I have ever been a part of. As someone still young and growing in the industry there is a great amount to learn here. As for your social life, plan to never have any weekends free and if you are in the technical field there is just a small team so you will be on call 24/7 some weeks. December is the worst month for all at Morgan because of End of Year financial reviews, at the end of 2019 there was nearly 1500 jobs cut mostly in the technology sector, so never be confident about your position here, it can be cut at any time.

Not great management

I worked as an analyst and basically did nothing because management had no work/task to complete. I started to teach my self. Others in my position ended up leaving because it was doing nothing for their careers and ability to grow. After finally leaving to a new position I then had to deal with similar situation only this time my managers were my age who knew nothing about what it meant to lead and be effective as a manager. While there are people within the company that are wonderful and I am thankful for those relationships, I didn’t have a good experience.

Pros

Free lunches in branches

Cons

Horrible Management, Politics

Summer internship

Morgan Stanley gave me a good starting area into the world of finance. Many days were spent researching or on excel. You also learn the systems most firms have set up.

Productive/ Fun Workplace

Productive/ Fun Workplace. Work life balance. It was great experience to work at Morgan Stanley. In future also if I could get chance to work over here then it will be a once again i wil doom into this MS😇

A Top Notch Firm With Great Resources and People

A Financial Advisor at Morgan Stanley essentially runs their own business. You have access to a tremendous array of resources at the firm (typically the best in the business). The training resources, if you're new to the business, are outstanding. However, there are monthly benchmarks which you have to meet.

Pros

Outstanding resources and training, in addition to a great company culture.

Cons

If you're new to the business and not on a team your odds of success drop significantly, and as a Financial Advisor you are responsible for covering your own T&E expenses.

Cold , unfriendly atmosphere

Houston Post Oak has a cold, unfriendly atmosphere. Assistants are not appreciated. Management does not care about employees. You work a lot without any appreciation or recognition.

Cons

No people management

Good place to learn

A good place to learn and grow, but at times very long working hours. Industry-standard systems and support, good internal mobility and career growth.

If your parents are rich/ connected or you are an excellent politician you have it made

Politics dominates Morgan Stanley. Mom and dad and connections are by far the single biggest career determinants, production is a close third. If one and two don’t apply be prepared to work your self to death with no support, if you produce then you will get support. You just have to buy your way in.

Very good management and a good place to progress

I enjoyed every second working at MS. They have a fab culture and ensure that you feel comfortable whilst working. Lovely office to work from too with loads of benefits.

Pros

Good Pay, Lovely Team

Cons

Not much

I was given the opportunity work with my disablity. Worked 4 years. The office closed in Tampa and they move the work to New York.

A dedicated worker and dependable. Completed task that was given to me. And will always try to help other departments. Once my work was completed. That give me more experience in other employee. I loved the work that was given to me on a daily.

flexible with work/life balance but no room for advancment

no advancement available unless you move to purchase ny work/life balance was really greatI was able to learn multiple jobs through my asking to learn more as I worked there to gain more knowledge

Philadelphia VP is Fair

Satellite offices are lacking. No management whatsoever, you are are your own, cut throat business and "Senior" advisors are tools who do not want you to succeed.

Productive work environment . Great work life balance. Awesome pay. Able to move around the company. I am not micromanaged. Family like atmosphere. I may never leave

Summer Finance

Great opportunity, you are supported well through the process and the recruitment team keep you well informed of your progression, and take care of interns.

Strong culture, Great learning opportunity, very supporting and inclusive enviornment, great benefits, good exposure to upper management, Fair PTO and opportunities to grow

Not mental health friendly but good name for CV

It’s a shame because I was really excited when I got the job offer, now being at the department for a few months I cannot believe how Morgan Stanley at Glasgow is run. It’s super stressful all the time and there is nobody there that can help you because everyone is so busy trying to fit 11 working hours to their day.You are essentially working for minimum wage until you work yourself up because overtime is not paid and it is expected of employees to stay later than intended.You have an hour lunch break but 95% of the employees do not take the hour because they have that much work to do, it’s truly ridiculous.I recommend working there for at least 6 months before jumping ship.

Pros

Small gym Nice office

Cons

Canteen Starbucks inside NO WORKLIFE BALANCE Working from home is a nightmare

CRU- Wealth Management Risk

Great culture, work life balance and challenging work with lots of opportunities. The people that are proactive and engaged- sky is the limit. If you want to coast you won't get good comp since it's a merit based comp, but if you hustle you'll make very good bonuses. Fast growing group led by strong leaders who genuinely care about the team. I've had the best supervisors of my entire career on this team. Tons of change occurred in 2019, and the group grew and changed a lot at that time, opened a lot of doors for the better! I plan to stay here until I retire.

Pros

great hours/ strong leadership/tons of opportunity/ family like team

Cons

If you are not very on top of your career and engaged you can get left in the dust

very low pay

Good on resume, put your 2-3 years in and leave for a better paying role. Depends on the team, but I enjoyed most people on mine. Currently a hybrid environment, 3 days per week in the office.

Financial Advisor (FA) at the MSVA (Morgan Stanley Virtual Advisor), CAC (Client Advisory Center), VCS

Pros-The Morgan Stanley Virtual Advisor (MSVA), Client Advisory Center (CAC), Virtual Client Solutions (VCS) invests a lot of time and money into you during your first six months.-Morgan Stanley does everything in their power to make sure you pass your SIE, Series 7, and Series 77, and trains you for the first six months to try and learn the Morgan Stanley systems of 3D, Connect, Nice, Salesforce, etc.-As long as you understand the system, the job is very easy and repetitive.-Quotas are easy to achieve of 0.5 Goal Plan Reports/Portfolio Reviews (GPSs) per day, $250,000 in new money per quarter ($1,000,000 per year), and 25 calls (inbound, outbound, and VMs) per day.Cons-They put all the time and effort into you for the first 6 months, and then could care less about you once you leave training.-Raises are nearly impossible to achieve/receive in the office. While the Service/Operations side of the office receives a yearly cost of living raises, FAs at the MSVA, CAC, VCS only receive raises through promotion.-Management expects you to be happy with having the same salary, even as the cost of living of the Phoenix area has increased 10% since the office opened in July 2018.-Only one raise has been offered across all employees in over three years-Promotions/raises primarily involve office politics.-Bonuses and Raises are solely based on discretion from management, not on stats.-Management provides no positivity in the workplace. No free breakfast or lunches, no professional head shots, no stock plan, reducing lunch breaks from one hour to a half hour, etc.-While Morgan -

Pros

Being sponsored for your SIE, Series 7, Series 66

Cons

Performance has no merit on promotions or bonus

Supportive team mates. Very low paying job compared to the job responsibilities

Good for a start.Managers are supportive when they have not been stressed out themselves.The job title says customer service to justify the very low pay, but you do a whole lot more than the typical customer service/call center duties. It's an insane amount of financial services work load that goes on here, you just aren't in a "brick and mortar store front". There is no clear path if you are looking to change teams and apply to internal roles. There's some internal bureaucracy when looking to leave the team. The work environment goes beyond fast paced and generally very stressful and leaves you drained at the end of your shift. They try to poach you to take the FINRA examination, but the salary for the added stress is almost nothing compared to the industry.

Pros

Supportive team mates willing to help you be a better version of yourself, Managers are supportive when they have not been stressed out, The customer service department is at least new immigrant friendly when hiring new intakes

Cons

Other departments look down on you, Archaic processes that make your job even more stressful, The pay is very very low compared to the kind of job required of you, micromanaging

Client Service Associate

Overall comparable to companies - Lots of projects all at once. Management is more focused on goals than the people and workload. Upper management is removed from the everyday grind

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morgan Stanley. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits