Michael Baker International

Michael Baker International Employee Reviews

Good Support, But Removed

As a contractor working offsite I see MB representatives weekly at my location. Always approachable and helpful, I do feel like a MB employee although I've only ever been to the building one time.

Great People to Work For

The upper management team out of the Hamilton office are some of the best people I've ever worked with in this field. I only left to advance pay and position. If they had been able to offer me a better position and more money, I definitely would've stayed. If you get the chance to work for MBI and you're comfortable being just an inspector, you definitely should. You won't regret it.

Pros

Great upper management, relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

None that I can think of

Solid place to work

I've found that in the 2 years I've been employed that management is attentive and cares about the employees. I don't plan on leaving for the foreseeable future.

Giant company with no personality

Terrible to company to work for, poor management and the employees they hire are bottom of the barrel. They don't stand behind their employees and do what ever needs to be done to help the company, you are a number and that's all you will ever be unless you want to be more, which I would never want for myself or for my dignity

Management Issues

Great place to work been there 9 month but had a supervisor that was not professional, always negative about everything, no direction, was told to search for work on my own, management was no support as well as Human Resources who is supposed to have employees backs when they had questions about how they were being treated? Didn’t even wanna talk about it pushed to the side and said move on.

Productive and easy place to work

I worked for them for 35 years and was let go for no good reason. Enjoyed working with all the people who I worked with. Everyone treats you well. Good place to work.

Great atmosphere, excellent pay, Will be busy

Great atmosphere, work culture, and work/ home life balance. Flex work schedule and hybrid work schedule is great. Overtime is paid at straight pay, and encouraged during peak periods but not required. Have experience with a few national firms and work atmosphere/culture at MBI is much more favorable.

Pros

Flex schedule, work atmosphere, very competitive pay, very busy most of the time

Cons

PTO carryover is limited, very busy most of the time

Good Pay and Opportunities, but often overworked.

Type of work can often be demanding and stressful especially around deadlines. Work place culture isn’t that friendly or personal. Pay and benefits are competitive. WFH hybrid schedule available, but typical work hours are 8am-5pm with little flexibility, and more often than not I find myself working after hours.

Greatest place I ever worked for

Cannot say anything negative about Michael Baker International it is the best work environment I have ever worked in. Outstanding support for advancement, opportunity and support.

The corporate focus is misdirected

Work productivity is not their focus. Internal guidelines consume the company focus rather that end results of projects. This company has way to much internal form requirements that had zero to do this the completion of getting the projects done.

Productive work

Depends on the division you belong to. Cei,cmt, or working from a office. Do your part and go home. For the most part everyone is friendly and knowing the right people will afford the best opportunities!

Friendly work atmosphere, too many employees

Great company, good benefits, I just left for a better offer.They are open to offer a lot of free training in addition to having their own training system

Not a great place to work

Toxic, old-line engineering firm. Increasingly squeezed by its private equity owner. Not very forward-looking - highly dependent on established government contracts. Management not friendly to work-life balance - direct supervisor recommended I take less time off for the birth of a child. Lots of backbiting and rumor-mongering - trust no one at Baker!

It was good to work with this company. Good starting pay. Supervisors ensured that you understood the task(s) that they expected you to perform.

Enjoyed working for MBI, they encouraged you to continue your job skills and further your education. MBI supplied you with the chance to get the certifications needed to do your job.

Pros

Pay was good, above average starting pay.

Cons

None to mention.

Interesting projects and people.

Baker is great place to work. I appreciate everything I learned while working for Baker, and still have contacts after 20+ years. I would recommend anyone to search for opportunities with Baker.

Pros

Great work environment.

Cons

None.

Poor work environment

Very poor management. Little help with project orientation and execution. Management can’t be bothered and implies guidance against policy handbook and then reprimands. Horrible office ethics and employee treatment. Per Diem for trips must come out of your pocket first, and be accounted for, if you don’t use it, it’s not yours. (Shady). Numerous times I traveled out of state and my lodging had not been arranged. I don’t recommend this firm. I encourage both new and senior archaeologists to demand better pay in the field. We are worth more.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Terrible management, out of pocket expenses, back stabbing, misguidance

Alright work, did not like my manager

Manager sucked, work did not teach me much, and there was not much opportunity to get involved on projects outside my department. Then to top it off, I got laid off because of covid.

Michael Baker International has grown significantly in the Western US

I have watched our company grow in size and innovation. I'm excited to learn more from our local experts and continue to partner with my clients to find solutions. Michael Baker is privately held yet large enough to chase large complex projects that stretch an engineer, architect, or planner's skillset. Our culture is work/life balance focused in we are currently working from home. We can chase big projects, get work done, and still make it to a dentist appointment or a soccer game for our children. No one is required to work in the office but it is available if they prefer to be in an office.

Pros

Driven leadership, mentorship, career advancement, and privately held

Cons

Shortage of staff in some areas

Razor thin to non-existent margins & wide range of incompetencies

Continuous issues with budgets & management being very disconnected. High turnover with lack of training and poor recruiting for senior to junior staff.

Pros

Good supervisor, some personable staff, and decent company 401K match

Cons

Ineffective recruiting process with incompetencies shown from junior staff to management, low morale, no work life balance, and abusive department manager with ethical violations that go unchecked

Very little to do

Unless you're in a small team or you work directly for the boss, you need to find, beg, borrow, or steal to get some work. Supervisor is clueless about future projects and talks in circles. Utilization is everything and if you don't find your own work then it's counted against you. Not a good place for a just out of school graduate. Many of the PM have no patience to teach or tell you to "Google it". Concerns about work distribution go ignored. I'd not recommend this place for anyone starting out.

Pros

Compensation is fair

Cons

Clueless supervisors, lack of work, no growth or development

Great Career

Overall a great place to work as a Civil Engineer or Planner. If your skills lie elsewhere, they may struggle to utilize you in ways that further your desired career path. If you are open and flexible with what you want to do, especially if you are interested in Construction Management, then this Company is for you. If you'd rather focus on your area of expertise, and your expertise isn't in transportation/construction, I'd look elsewhere.

Pros

Flexible Hours, Caring Management, Great Pay

Cons

Unpredictable work, high stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michael Baker International. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • Michael Baker International
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?