Kimley-Horn

Kimley-Horn Employee Reviews

Fun workplace but very demanding

It was a great workplace and the people were great but if you're not ready for a demanding workload you will likely sink. Management is okay but depended on who is your supervisor

Excellent pay with bad work life balance

You will earn insane amounts of money, but work 50-60 hour weeks. Everyone is stressed so it's hard to ask questions and do things correctly the first time when you don't have a lot of guidance.

Low ceiling with good benefits

The company is very flat without directors so while nice sometimes, the ceiling is project manager with some badges like VP. I went to Kimley-Horn to be a practice builder but ended up doing everything since we couldn’t recruit anyone. I was a drafter most of the time and had to re-learn cad so i could my projects done to my clients liking. If your looking for a better career ladder beyond PM work I would look elsewhere. If you just like managing projects and doing cad work KH is just fine. There are some nice people there and some do really well financially that know the system.

Pros

Vested Retirement and surprise bonuses

Cons

Lots of long hours and internal competition

Good experience

Expect overtime, UT goals are heavily emphasized. Work culture is good and everyone supports each other since they’re all u def the same system. Good starting point

Just a number

KH has grown so rapidly that it’s turned into management by spreadsheet. Even promotions are done by excel with little to no recognition for intangible impacts. It’s all about the dollar today and not the future tomorrow. Miss your UT and you better watch out. The UT goals are crazy so they can keep bonuses high for shareholders.

Mixed Review

Pro's:- High bonuses (see con's as well for this) & 401k and Profit Sharing- Great People to work with - Clear growth and path to being a shareholder (only for engineers, if youre anything else like business, accounting, marketing then there isn't a clear path to ownership)I have no hatred for this company, I really liked my few years there. During my time these are the downsides I noted before I left to go to another engineering firm.Con's:- Salaries are pretty low and the bonuses are taxed very high so you'll likely only see about 60% or less of that bonus - Work/Life balance is impossible. It's an extra effort firm so you're required to work more than 40 hours a week. - The "Half Day Friday" is absolutely fake. No one actually leaves early and most people use that day to catch up on hours if they had a doctor appt. or something else in the week- Meeting UT (Utilization) is insane. As an engineer we bill our clients by the hour. That means 96% of every day worked needs to be billable work. If you have to attend a training then you have to make that hour(s) up. If you go on vacation then you're UT drops and you have to make that up. UT is tied directly to bonuses and compensation. MAJOR CON:- Kimley-Horn is not as nationally recognized as they make you feel. They also use the designation of "Analyst" and "Production Intern" for interns and engineers in training. So if you do decide to leave, it can be challenging getting your resume to a hiring manager. I was told by one that he put my resume to the side because he didn't know what analyst meant. When in reality -

Fun work environment

Reasonable hours for reasonable pay. Great culture and family oriented atmosphere. Some higher hours but the rewards are there. Would recommend if you are high functioning

they really think they're great and they only kinda are

really nice people, clearly good benefits, and a lot of fun culture things outside of work. the company as a whole, though, kind of gives me a headache sometimes because they love going on and on about their benefits and how they are such a great place to work for. 'extra effort' required but it seems to get compensated pretty well.

Not for the person who wants to enjoy life outside of work

Do they pay slightly higher than other companies? Yes. BUT it really doesn’t make sense because a salary is based on a 40 hour week. When you come here you’re GOING to work about 50 minimum so in my opinion the *slightly* higher salary doesn’t mean jack. If you’re the type of engineer who likes to work silently and only have necessary meetings and are kind of introverted (and also family oriented) DO NOT COME HERE. There are continuous meetings all day every day and it just feels like most of it is just the company patting itself on the back. This place is a money making machine and thrives on young single 20 year olds who don’t have the balls to say “no” to staying until 11 pm at night. The “analyst” positions have an extremely high turnover rate for a reason. Your time is not valuable in this company.

The culture is fantastic

I started working at Kimley-Horn in January and my experience has been fantastic. People are incredibly friendly and always willing to help you. Really look forward to going to work.

Tough to fit in

Kimley-Horn has good benefits and good projects but if you are not in the core business that is roadway or site development you will struggle to fit in the fraternity. They are very spreadsheet driven so if don’t meet their exact metrics you won’t succeed. Those that work in roadway will do well as they can piggy back but new practices often fail miserably.

Pros

Good benefits.

Cons

Low diversity. Work from home is discouraged.

Great culture and benefits, but too rigid for me

(Almost) everyone at this company is great to work and interact with. They generously compensate their employees and invest in the community by supporting volunteer organizations that employees are affiliated with. Given the nature of the engineering industry, this is a "live to work" type of job. Clients come first and the extra-effort mentality requires employees to work overtime. I think this is a great place for people who are settled or settling down, just not the place if you're still "figuring it out."

Great Place For The Right Person

KH is the best place to work for the right kind of person. If you are a go getter who wants to help others succeed, and make their clients successful, while getting paid well...then this is the place to be.YES, you will work more than 40 hours a week. Probably 45-47 hours a week on average. This is normal for consulting. If a consulting firm tells you they work 40 hours a week they are either lying or you will not be paid well. That may be okay for you, which is fine.1. I have never been told I can't take vacation or work from home or leave early/show up late. I get my work done when is best for me.2. Bonuses are insane! Take whatever you think a good bonus is and double it (or more). I was fortunate to have scholarships, but my friend at KH paid off 80K in students loans in 5 years thanks to our bonuses.3. KH gives nothing to your 401K year 1. Year 2 and going forward if you put 4% of your salary + bonus into your 401K, KH will give you 18%!!4. We're ahead of our peers technically. The career growth is nuts.5. Who doesn't love PMing a project 3 years after graduating?Again, KH isn't for everyone, and that is okay! People have been unsuccessful at KH, but successful at other companies. Anyone who says they are overworked either should not work in consulting or they don't communicate how they are feeling to management.

Pros

Bonuses, 401K, Flexibility, Career/Technical Growth

Cons

They are in a lot of states, but not all 50

KH was my dream job, but no longer

Leadership cares too much metrics and that is reflected within each office's management. Job starts are important, and you must find a PM or supervisor who will mentor you to succeed at Kimley-Horn.Be careful when taking on extra roles and responsibilities at KH - your UT will be harder to maintain.

Amazing company to work for! They do ask a lot but they give a lot as well! If you choose to do the work you will not be reget the payoff.

The work is rewarding! At times it can be tediouse work but if you can survive that the payoff is really nice! Everyone is very helpful! The biggest thing that stood out to me is i never heard the word no.

Productive fun place to work. Office culture is outstanding and everyone seems to enjoy working here,

I love Kimley-Horn as a whole. The culture is great and I really enjoy the people I work with. The office is very understanding and extremely flexible. Overall, Kimley-Horn is a great place to work.

This company has a very specific culture. If you fit the mold you will do great. If you don’t fit the mold run away!

- high billable utilization rate, you are explicitly told you must work at 115-120% every week in order to have time for vacations and trainings- great retirement but takes 6 years to be fully vested- people here want you to succeed. They lift you up because it makes their job easier- good technical training- pay is okay. With all the extra hours you work your bonus is like your overtime pay for it- not many female leaders- have to win your own work- grind for 8+ years as a young engineer in order to make the big bucks later- company culture rewards people who have no life outside of work- you have to love what you’re doing and be okay with neglecting other aspects of your life in order to succeed otherwise you will get burnt out- many young people leaving right now because the burn out and staying loyal isn’t worth the little bit of extra pay

Its a trap

The company will tell recent graduates what they want to hear to get their foot in the door. Coworkers wont hesitate to step over you for their own personal growth. Horrible office environment, you can sense the stress everywhere.

Avoid if Electrical or Mechanical

The truth is stretched a lot here. When people are recruited, key information on how metrics are tracked are sugar coated. Best advice is just stay away from this company if you are non-civil. You will get the “We are growing speech” that has been going on for 4 years. There have been countless people who have come and gone in the facilities group for all sorts of reasons this ranges from the junior to senior level. If you join, you are most likely destined to meet the same result.

Pros

ok pay

Cons

Bad management, toxic work environment, lack of real projects despite continuous talk on bringing them in

Great Place to work and the benefits are the best.

I have had so many jobs and now I have a place that treats you well offers so much. Working is a life to make your home life better, Kimley-Horn is the place. Great atmosphere, great people and I found the best job!

If you work yourself to the bone you might barely meet your billable goals

Really good benefits across the board, but the company expects you to work very, very hard. Constant emphasis is placed on profitability and efficiency which keeps stress lingering overhead no matter what. The christmas bonus is purported to be incredible.

Pros

Brownbag training sessions with free lunch are nice, good benefits

Cons

looooong hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kimley-Horn. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits