Johnson Controls
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Johnson Controls:

Johnson Controls Employee Reviews for Sales Representative

Too big and bureaucratic to really care and understand about the most productive employees. Senior management never really engaged with the field sales to understand what each local market really needed.
Apparently my full review is too long. So, I'll just say this, my year at Johnson Controls was by far, the WORST year of my 20 year bid in the fire protection industry. The company has zero organization, direction, or support. Upper Management is demeaning and chauvinistic towards women.
I can say with confidence that the company has a wonderful corporate structure and excellent corporate culture. However, the business is left primarily to the local leaders to ensure employee engagement, business strategy, personnel hiring and firing, pay raises and local leadership is determined primarily by internal hires through performance. If you excel at your job, you can get promoted regardless if you are a good fit. Many leaders in the organization would have been better off not taking positions they were not fit to hold. This causes poor culture and poorly managed regions and A LOT of turnover. It is a great company to start with for excellent training (for a resume). It allows for a good stepping stone to negotiate for much higher pay at competitors. The company has a lot of internal politics locally and corporately, be careful.
Pros
Base salary, health care, lots of movement internally
Cons
Under-trained middle management, lot of turnover, not competitive pay or commission
Williston Vermont Office -- This is a very unprofessional office that lacks professional managers. The management in this office have been there for years and have only kept their positions by lying and accusing employees of not doing their job properly so that they are not held accountable and look good. There is constant verbal abuse and accusations from the managers and they get away with it because it is a remote office with little supervision from senior management. The service managers do not have college degrees and are unable to problem solve and do not understand technology. When faced with a problem that they do not understand, they blame the customer or the employee. They are all related through family and friends and favor one another making it difficult to voice an opinion without getting shut down if you are not part of their inner circle. They are constantly looking for ways to take opportunities from sales or to overcharge the customers. It is the most unprofessional environment I have ever worked in. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company!
Days are very busy you cannot slow down Produce the numbers or you will not make it. Many ways to learn but online mostly. Paper and computer intensive labor hard to keep up. Most enjoyable time is helping my customers and employees.
Outside sales so you are working alone, you have a team in place but it is all about finding your own business and leads. Manager is great but the company as a whole has some dysfunction. its improving.
Co workers are great. Management is chaotic, lack moral clarity which distorts a cohesive sales and marketing plan. As a sales representative, JCI seemed more interested in process and administrative competence vs customer relationships, sales and service. The commission structure is overwhelmingly complicated with a 17 page explanation of how commission is calculated.
This was an amazing work location and loved my Manager. I was given every opportunity to learn and advance, at the end of the day sales was not for me. No hard feelings and I appreciate all the knowledge I received.
Was employed in Tyco fire as sales, Salary is on time, but work environment is very uncomfortable. Nobody bothers if you work overtime without overtime pay / or work on saturdays also. Getting orders is extremely difficult. The products are expensive and all other support operations are very badly managed. Credit team / order processing also very poor. Was fired without any proper notice. Its a sinking ship.
This was a good company and job until upper management began micromanaging front line employees and sales employees. Company raised labor rates, and materials so that we were 60% or more higher than the competitors, and we were told we couldn't lower our margins in order to close deals, even with long time customer accounts. Then upper management complained we weren't hitting our numbers, and obviously sale's commissions were less! Good employees have been dropping like flies and joining other companies. The company has become laser focused on showing growth for shareholders and staring at charts full of bad data because their tools don't work, and have been poorly implemented. The CEO is even using the same consulting firm that tanked Enron! Need new upper management that will listen to and retain their talented employees, but in the meantime, run away!
Pros
Competitive pay, flex time, and some work from home opportunities.
Cons
Micromanagement, less pay, bad policies.
Many of the organization's departments are centralized and there are very limited resources. This results in long lead times for services requested by customers. Further, the organization's procurement practices are borderline criminal as procurement often will refuse to pay its vendors. Many outstanding balances are 180 days past due before payments are made. This makes it difficult to conduct business and manage projects.
Pros
Pay, Work-Life Balance, Flexibility
Cons
Poor Business Practices
Not always enough technicians available to handle workload. Not always easy to get assistance for clients. Management staff not always available/accessible.
Computers are terrible. Since Tyco merged with Johnson Controls they are like a fish flopping out of the water. Instead of trimming management, they are adding more levels. Way to much power given to their operations department. This was a bad merger.
I have been a sales rep for JCI for about a year and a half now and I love it. The work life balance is great. The company perks and benefits are great. There is tons of room to grow and develop. Endless learning materials available. I really enjoy the laid back, but professional and driven atmosphere in our office. I am not sure what it's like in every other district, but most of those I have met from other districts seem to love their job too. It's a sales job, so there will always be those who don't last long if they aren't cut out for it, but many of our sales reps have been with the company for 10+ years. Once you get in a establish yourself you can make great money. Like any sales job, it's a roller coaster. JCI is a huge corporation and there is always a big push for more and more sales. You have to make your stock holders happy, but you're going to have that anywhere. If you are hitting your sales numbers you are left alone. Want to work from 11am to 2pm? No one cares as long as you are hitting your numbers, answering emails (company phone provided), taking care of issues that pop up throughout the day. Having the ability to work from home and set my schedule everyday is awesome. My only real complaint is that company is SO big that there is a lot of corporate red tape. There are many hard to work with redundant programs you have to use and it can take a long time to get answers back and problems solved when there are issues you can't solve immediately. That just comes with being a large business. All in all I love what I do and hope to stay and grow with JCI long term. - more...
Pros
Non decaled company car can be used as your daily driver. Company pays for all of your gas, oil changes, tires, insurance, taxes, and other other fees associated with maintaining it.
Cons
Corporate red tap, a lot of company meetings, pressure from upper management stresses out middle level management and it shows quite a bit.
Very Innovative. Great place to work. Great people. Great benefits. Good workplace culture. Good management team. The product pipeline is really expanding.
Excellent learning opportunity for anyone considering a career in HVAC sales. Management was supportive, and the learning environment was open and welcome.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Disconnect with operational side of business from sales
If you work for this company in a large market, you'll probably have access to the needed resources to be successful. However, if you work for a small-mid market district, you will have regional managers, very limited resources for providing services to the customers and your pricing will not be inline with what the market supports making it difficult to succeed. The company is process oriented and quality people are stifled by the inability to make decisions to address customers' needs.
Pros
Excellent product, great people in the rank and file
Cons
Regional Management Structure, lack of resources
This is a global company that treats it's employees like it's a regional company. Very unprofessional management team, and poor training. It was a shocker to see so many deficiencies in a company that should have it all. The insurance benefits are so costly to the employees and the deductibles are so high that it does not encourage the employee's wellness.
Pros
company car
Cons
poor management
A very well managed company with a great american manufacturers story behind it. Received good training and accorded a great degree of latitude for self initiative.
JCI is successful because of the people working for the organization. There is plenty of opportunities in the organization with a solid compensation and benefit plan
A typical day includes quoting each deficiency that the fire alarm and sprinkler inspectors note. I have learned from this role that follow-up is important to have success with sales. Management is at different levels within the company. The workplace culture is very easygoing with many different generations. The hardest part of the job is repetitiveness. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you have helped people to stay safe.
Pros
Amazing Benefits