Johnson Controls
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Johnson Controls Employee Reviews for Emergency Dispatcher

I’m thankful Johnson Controls gave me an opportunity. I didn’t make it through training because I called in sick. I don’t think I would’ve succeeded with the shift I was assigned.
Pros
Extensive training.
Cons
Broken microwaves in the break room. Strange work hours.
I loved working for jhonson controls. I had never done call center type jobs before but the training made me well prepared . I also enjoyed knowing I was helping save people's lives
This is not a job you want run find something else not a job you want bad management bad working conditions bad raises suck the canceled our 401 k contributions for this year
The work environment is TERRIBLE & all that matters is numbers numbers numbers. The office furniture is terrible. The computer system is a joke and SUPPORT is non existent.
I started at Johnson Controls around July of 2019. I only stayed there for about 2-3 months because in the beginning I knew things were going to be all bad. First, you have to pass training (like you are in school) and they have a real life graduation ceremony. Second, I did not like the fact we had to desk share, you had to come to work 15-20 mins early just to find a desk and log in on time. Some of the computers were broken and others did not have the internet, or had other things wrong with them. This caused many people to clock in late. Overall, I did not like the environment the managers and leads walk around every 10-15 mins to make sure people are working. I did not like to feel like people were baby sitting I am an adult.
The job itself was pretty good. I worked full time and overall enjoyed the experience. I was tasked with contacting emergency services when a fire alarm, hold up alarms, and medical alerts.I enjoyed knowing i was saving lives. I would average 100+ outbound calls per day. The reason i left involved me having a medical issue on the floor. No one near me was trained for that event.
They have bed bugs that they aren’t treating for correctly. The pay and benefits were great, my manager was amazing but that’s about it. You will have to work holidays and no snow days
Competitive at times, other times boring, no mobility, don't like working third shift but paid the most per hour. Training did not match being actually on floor, quite a few of what we should know, we don't know. Some simple, some complex.
This company has treated me well. The understanding of management and the help from other operators you recieve is amazing. Everyone is friendly and always willing to be a good friend.
Pros
Pay, benefits, set schedule.
This place is filled with unhappy people,lots of grown up people that gossip like they were in high school.Lots of kissing up to mangement required ito keep your job.They give you alot of rules but they don't make people follow them.They hire anybody that walks in because there is such a high turn over.
Pros
health care
Cons
not a happy place to be
Environment and culture is oppressive! Facility outdated and substandard, They are not concerned about the employees at all, double standard. Upper management is a joke. Extremely low morale, and micro management at best! Would not recommend to anyone!
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
unrealistic expectations, poor management, unconcerned of employees
Depending on your personality this will be great or it will be a nightmare. Middle management has some really bad apples and then some gems. It's a unionized environment which comes with it's own challenges. You start on night shift 'til new employees are hired and stay. There is very little turnover. The pension plan is pretty good so are the Insurance benefits. There is parking (free). It can become toxic though if you can't make abstraction of the drama and the above mentioned "bad apples". Otherwise it's pretty decent.
Pros
Nice Insurance plan, possibility to make $$
Cons
Current middle management/no advancement
As Tyco, it was okay. As Johnson Controls Inc., I'm starting to think they're going to kill the security monitoring part of the company. They made the health benefits worse (poorer coverage, more expensive), they've lowered the monthly performance-based bonus payout and made it harder to get the full payout, haven't heard anything about getting raises this year (it's already mid-December), and they've hired a third-party company to do our jobs from the Philippines. All we ever hear about it how much JCI made in sales (over a billion in one quarter), but they don't acknowledge anything else about the company. For the last five years (since the split with ADT), things have been getting worse and the company as a whole doesn't seem to care about the monitoring centers, but JCI is really squashing us.
Pros
Cafeteria, set hours, good location, individual managers
Cons
Penny-pinching, high turnover, poor training
Management has a culture of bullying which hides behinds corporate. Current manager has threatened to attack an employee in front of witness, other current manager has harassed more than a few employees. This place is great if you just want money and are an in and out type of person.
Pros
overtime
Cons
bully culture/no advancement
This place is amazing when it comes to job security. However the pay for what is done hardly helps make ends meet. There is also a high turnover rate. So if you don't think handling alarms and dispatching police, fire, and ems and dealing with angry people that you call when an alarm pops up. Well the choice is yours.
The managers micromanage the departments and do not know the job responsibilities for the department they manage. They make up rules that have zero reasoning. Each week there is a new change that does not make the employees happy with the environment. Anyone that I talk to is miserable there and wants to get out as soon as possible. They say there is an open door policy but no one feels safe to say anything.
Cons
The training class is very good. The trainer teaches you everything you need to know about the job. It heads you to the right direction with the Johnson Control Career.
Primarily, our job at Johnson Controls was to ensure the safety of our clients. To do so, everyone started off their shift being up to 20 minutes early, to enforce punctuality and to be prepared for the next however-so-many hours they had to work. This included logging into the required software, situating their phones lines and so forth. Although the work place was very comfortable, and the staff/management were more than willing to help whenever, I believe the hardest part about this job was making a call to a client who was in a life risking situation, and blamed out security system for their problem. Customer service was also something we took pride in, so when a client had a particular problem with our company, it was our first priority to fix the matter. One thing I miss about the job was the other EDO's. With Johnson Controls environment, it was extremely easy to make friends and workplace relationships.