Johnson Controls
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Johnson Controls:

Johnson Controls Employee Reviews in Westminster, MA

This was a good company to work for but they do not train new employers for the job. It is difficult to learn the way a company does things when no one will help you to succeed. My department was very short staffed, had a low morale, was not giving encouragement to their employees. Unless you are able to hit the ground running from day one do not expect to be there very long. They are low on patience and have a high demand for learning and knowing what to do well before your probationary period is even met. I was the 7th person to go through this position. If you ask for any assistance from your coworkers expect to be eventually bebecalled into the managers office. The "Leads" do not train you, and they do not even answer your questions, they talk behind your back, run to management if you ask for help.help..
Everything is offshored. It takes days to settle simply HR problems. No onsite help available. You have to place job tickets for every issue in the HR field. They are moving operations all around the world. Not very progressive. Yet the CEO gets his due reward for cutting peoples jobs in the USA.
Pros
Cons
health insurance is not good. You have to pay the high deductible before insurance kicks in.
Phenomenal, knowledgeable, and hard working sales force. I am extremely proud to support them. My department is truly amazing and supportive of each other.
Location has been bought out again. Poor management and everything being outsourced or jobs merging, leading to larger workloads with no pay increase. National Accounts organization is a train wreck, all managers and supervisors have left, due to a poor director.
Beware as company is constantly moving jobs out of the country. Communication does not exist and benefits are very expensive. Raises are poor or not given at all.
JCI has out sourced the infrastructure team. This has created issues all around the infrastructure on Linux, Windows Operating systems along with applications that run on all these systems.
I wouldn’t leave if I would be oriented about leave of absence. I asked and was told that I didn’t qualify. I had to leave to my country after a natural disaster and I didn’t have any other option than resign
The leadership team is very misleading and out right lies about compensation for roles with in the National Accounts organization. It is near impossible to see working processes deliver great service to National Account customers.
Pros
Free doughnuts during EOM
Cons
Just about everything else.
Typical workday - the shift is terrible. 11am - 8pm. You're told in the beginning that this shift is "very temporary". 1.5 years later, still in the same awful shift. Do not accept "promises" unless you get them in writing. Lack of communication is absolutely a morale killer. Trying to learn a job that is fairly specific, and there can be legal consequences when contracts are not inputted correctly. Constant changes to process and procedures and they are not communicated down the pipeline effectively and sometimes not at all. The people are the best part of the job. Many people are super friendly. Direct supervisors are great for the most part. Female supervisors seem to be intimidated by other strong females and that makes them throw their attitude around (in my opinion) and exert their "authority". This can sometimes make for an uncomfortable and unfriendly work environment.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Johnson Controls?
A lot of the job positions have been sent to Mexico since I was hired on years ago. The jobs are mostly clerical, date entry and assisting the field in booking service contracts and scheduling inspections.
Pros
clean building, nice coworkers, leaving 2 hours early sometimes (after a busy time)
Cons
road to work is awful (potholes), jobs being sent outside of US, no advancement
Working account discrepancies is a very challenging, but make the day go by first. for myself, it was a perfect job besides the compensation. I was able to work with customers that could have over a 1,000,000 of recurring revenue with multiple locations, and multiple local offices completing the work.
With some many domains/departments/different systems across said domains it's difficult to determine whose responsibility work is. Commission is a hassle to receive and countless spreadsheets are needed to manage it. Upper management is often disconnected from customer needs and the struggle customer-facing employees deal with on a day-to-day basis.
Pros
Some ability to work from home.
It's very old fashioned and hasn't changed. They need to move into the 21st century and do things in a more automated fashion rather than manually. It was very frustrating.
If you like working mandatory weekly and weekend overtime, then this is your place! Employee turnover is a revolving door because people can’t deal with the amount of hours and dedication to a job. Example: my wife’s brother passed away due to gun violence and the first thing said when talking about taking bereavement leave is “when do you think you can make up the Overtime?” This is strictly a punch in/punch out job. They are going through a merger so they are still trying to find a direction. So expect procedures to change every few months. They under pay you as well. Moved to higher position in the company and only got a 40 cent increase in pay. Then realized that they were recruiting for my same position for a dollar more than what i was making. A slap in the face to those veteran employees. It’s not all bad as there were perks. Quarterly bonuses based on overall department performance. They also hold events for the employees on location. They also let you leave early sometimes on holidays depending on the workload. Departments always plan potlucks and games involving workload. On month end, when employees are expected to stay late for the final financial push, the company caters dinner (usually pizza, deli platters, Chinese or pasta).
Pros
Perks
Cons
Never ending mandatory OT
This is a large company which I have held many roles. Each job is completely different depending on who your manager is. The location is a commuters dream.
Each day required a minimum number of disputes that needed to be addressed and entered for resolution. The culture was very fast-paced. The hardest part of the job was not having the time to pick up the phone and resolve an issue right away. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with; the team was always willing to help each other.
The management is supportive and I have a flexible work schedule. I cam work at home on occasion. The hardest part of the job is the fact that we can't always help our customers without other departments being involved to create the final solution.
Pros
close to home
Cons
shift time interfere with gym/extracurricular
Management team controls teams through fear rather than respect. Head of organization has no education higher than HS. No communication about company changes or needs. no job security
Pros
Monthly bonuses
Cons
Everything else
Company is not funding the foundational needs and is overwhelmed with issues due to years of consolidation and spinning off various business. Company is not productive because they have many different business systems.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No training no direction
Highly stressful work environment. Some supervisors micromanage to the point of ridiculousness. Many people have left because of the stress without having another job to go to
Simplex was purchased by Johnson Controls, and made to decision to relocate all jobs to Mexico. So no need to apply now, It was so much better when it was Simplex Grinnell