HNTB Corporation

HNTB Corporation Employee Reviews

High pressure company

I was at HNTB for a short period of time. The work was very interesting, but I worked sixty hours weeks for most of the time I was there. All overtime was paid and they are a generous employer.

Pros

Interesting work, trips to headquarters

Cons

High pressure, too much overtime

Great place to work and grow

A great place to work and play. Good company communications regularly. Great benefits. Supportive co-workers and management. I would definitely recommend family and friends to work at this company.

Tough environment to progress forward

Only worried about their bottom lineProfits, management not easy to talk with, be careful on decisions about taking positions without fully venting that choice separate from management

Demands excellence

Great place to work. Expectations are high, but you will be recognized if you are a high performer. Too many meetings at times - figure out what works for you to be successful and set some boundaries.

Best company ever! Employee owned, smart people, caring, involved employees

This company gets so much right. The culture of kindness is deeply rooted. Not sure if that is because it's employee owned and there is a strong sense that "your win, is my win, is our win" or if because it was founded in the Midwest over 100 years ago. Great benefits including adoption assistance and 10k per year for tuition reimbursement. The projects are important-the people are awesome! Love it here!

Great Introductory job into the construction / civil engineering field

Got the job through the mayors youth employment program and worked the summer as a communications intern. Work was informative of the field and I got to experience multiple aspects of the construction field.

A good place to work and develop

People cooperate with each other very well to achieve the goal. Very friendly. Flexible working hours and location. Delivering major infrastructure projects.

Typical engineering firm I think...

Singular focus on the US transportation market and organic growth. No WFH strategy. Many other, more open-minded and innovative companies are passing them up. STRONG civil engineer bias. Over-promoting diversity right now, but that is probably needed. If you want to work on big transportation projects this is a great place to start your career and just see where you go from there. All other non-civil engineers should take a really close look before joining.

Pros

Give merit out annually, benefits are decent, mostly urban office locations

Cons

Civil engineering bias at all levels, limited opportunities, old-school management

management did not provide leadership.

No recognition or bonus was provided when securing new projects. Very little support provided regarding CRM system, and you are expected to know the system and use it daily.

Pros

The pay is better than most firms.

Cons

No support is provided, and you are expected to deliver projects with no support and develop new clients by yourself, management will agree to attend marketing meeting and not show up.

You are a revenue line, make sure it's in the positive!

HNTB expects everyone to hit the ground running. Don't expect any hand holding or realistic explanations of how or why things are done. You will be held to the fire if they are not done though. Deadlines are hard set and every "i" needs to be dotted because there's no going back. They do track your billable hours monthly and if they can't bill you then they'll let you go pretty quick. There is little loyalty there until you're in upper management, whom you will likely only have sparse contact with as they're all so busy that getting a response is like pulling teeth.

Positive attitude and ability to expand your abilities

*The Best part to me was the TEAM work, everyone I worked with was great as a team, and we learned from each other as well.*Typical work day I arrived before most and set office up for the day, and greeted any that arrived. Worked on daily records management assignments and prepping for meetings, etc.*Management - I was very fortunate to work with a great management team on CIP projects, but on Traffic Management, there was a miss-connect with management and other departments. Two many Indian Chiefs.

Pros

Excellent benefits

Cons

Short breaks

Excellent and productive place to work

I have enjoyed my time with this company. Management helped me with my career a ton and I have learned how to use so many tools that I never knew existed. I would definitely recommend this company for any interested in engineering or planning in the transportation field

Cons

Acceptable pay and a good way to bump up your savings

Inspecting for HNTB means staying in the field as long as the contractor plus doing your daily report and finalizing your report from the previous day. The compensation is “fair” but not worth it unless you’re hurting for money. The contractors often work 6x12+ which means you have 12hrs with a crew plus another 2hrs of paperwork every day. They’re penny pinchers and only provide 1 set of ppe a year. Even upper management is working 80hrs a week so seniority won’t bring a work life balance. It’s a great place to work short term and pad your savings account though

Pros

Good pay with OT factored in, good benefits, you get to be outside

Cons

More dangerous then being a cop, long hours, very corporate culture

The work was very good. Management very self centered.

I loved my job and found it challenging and a work in progress. The management need to be held accountable for more. There wasn’t a lot of encouragement to stay.

Pros

Very busy

Cons

Too much micro-managing

Unorganized and not enough onboarding training

The Florida group of HNTB is extremely unorganized. The team communication is non-existent. I tried to stick it out, but it there is no guidance for new employees.

Pros

Good career training - lunches - vehicles - 20 vacation days to start.

Cons

The holiday time is the worst I’ve ever had - communication - onboarding -

Growing firm with a lot of exciting projects

Exposure to a lot of different projects, room to grow and clear direct management of operations. Overall executive board could be better and more open to new practices - still stuck in the old ways

Pros

Good benefits, ESOP available, room for growth

Cons

Not as flexible

Poor leadership, questionable work ethics

Not an ideal place to work unless desperate, Leadership, or lack of it has made the work environment very tense and toxic.There are lots of "work processes" but not enough applicability or practicality. Lots of blame games not enough clarity of roles, everchanging org charts, a revolving door

Pros

Good coffee

Cons

Ineffective leadership, micro management, unjust favoritism

A job

If you like Excel you'll like this job. A lot of overtime, which is nice at first but will burn you out. If you can make sure to have firm boundaries in interpersonal work relationships and surrounding your time, you can make this work. A bit of a deadend role within HNTB, though.

Great management

Working as a PM for MARTA at HNTB has been rewarding as well as great experience. I would recommend this company to anyone who is a professional and dedicated to excellence.

Pros

Great Management

Cons

Commute

Concerned soley abou the bottom line

Managers seem to be under immense pressure to hit a specific financial goal and consequently, engineers will feel that pinch. It wont be said but you will be expected to work more hrs without compensation.

Growing firm with a lot of exciting projects

Pros

Good benefits, ESOP available, room for growth

Cons

Not as flexible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HNTB Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • HNTB Corporation
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?