HDR

HDR Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place with a foosball table

Everything is awesome, everything is cool when you're part of a team. Good people in this office, and good projects. Everyone is dedicated to putting out good work for the client.

Great company

I loved working for HDR! The workplace culture was amazing and I loved my coworkers. There is a lot of room for growth in the company as well...you don't have to worry about being stuck.

Love it!

This is by far the best job I've ever had!!! Meaningful work with great benefits and compensation, along with awesome, super supportive coworkers!!!!!

It's a great place to work

If you want to work and you do a good job you'll get more hrs, and be able to advance in the career. You've got to come to work and not fool around on the job.

Horrible management

Being an employee who owns part of the company is fantastic! There are lots of people within HDR that are completely awesome to work with! Management is absolutely atrocious in the Pacific Northwest. They make horrible decisions, then blame the resulting problems on the lowest level tier of employees. Talk about pathetic! Droves and droves of people left the organization in the time that I was there. That was 100% due to both the local and regional management. Many of these management employees are still in their jobs!!! That, in a nutshell is what HDR is so horrible at. First, they don’t hire or promote good leaders. But more importantly, they let these toxic people who are terrible at their jobs STAY in those roles for years, making excuse after excuse for them. THAT is why people leave. That’s why you are losing amazing people who’ve been there for years. That’s why turnover is SO high! You would think they would get a clue after a while, but nope. It’s clearly the hill they want to die on.

Provided the tools and resources to grow as a Civil EIT

When I started at HDR I was paired with an amazing mentor. He taught me everything that I needed to know about Microstation, and designing and reviewing plan sets. About 6 months into my job I touched every type of sheet that goes into a plan set. After my first project I was given the opportunity to work on various highway/roadway projects. Some of this work started to slow down due to a shift in the economy and I was offered another opportunity in railroad design. I’m thankful for all the experience that I received from my first mentor and all the project engineers I worked with. Great people and overall a great company!

Poor Management

HDR has terrible management. They only seem to be concerned about winning contracts and do not properly staff the projects with qualified engineers that actually do the work. I worked on a very large dam retrofit contract which was completely mismanaged. The company did not have the talent to properly carry out the work. Subsequently they lost a tremendous amount of money and ended up having to subcontract much of the work to a more qualified consultant.

Pros

Free coffee from a multi-style automatic coffee machine.

Cons

Very top heavy in managers that are incompetent, not receptive to listening to staff engineers, light in staff engineers that actually are qualified in doing the work

The best workplace environment

Everyone at hdr in Omaha is pleasant to see. I haven’t had a single issue since switching from oppd to hdr. I had more opportunities here than at my old job with more growth potential in this current company.

Great place to work and grow

I worked in a position that was dependent on a specific government contract. I was trained and offered training at any and every opportunity. I ask for learning opportunities and they were offered to me. I work well independently and was able to do that, while being supported at the same time. Great place to work and grow!!

Unique projects, lots of opportunity

Excellent employee owned company. Lots of large projects with the mix of small ones as well in all industries. Advancement of your career is encouraged at HDR. Provides opportunity to WFH or in an office.

Great Company Great People - has some management issues.

Great company, some are great people - unless you’re a temp. Try to get hired on right away after they get a new office manager & don’t use a temp agency if you expect support. If you have any documented medical or mental health issues, maybe try to establish a plan before you get hired.

Good Civil Engineering Company

Pros-Great people and sense of comradery-Stay busy and exposure to exciting projects-Great office location and quality office space-Good benefits (outside of PTO)Cons-PTO until 5 year experience mark is underwhelming, no additional sick days-Lack of career development programs/trainings-Completely open office floor plan can translate to a lack of privacy-Some lack of flexibility on remote work-Doesn't cover parking

Good projects, bad culture

It’s what you’d expect from a company this large—huge disconnect between upper management and everyone below them. You become a number in a system that no one really cares about. Projects are usually pretty interesting but sometimes you get stuck with a low budget or short timeframe and no one above you will care, they’ll just keep pressuring you. Salary is horrible and very little opportunity to move up. Tech infrastructure looks like it dates back to the 90s and is a nightmare to work with.

Pros

Cool projects

Cons

No work life balance, low pay, few growth opportunities

Hdr

Great company with good benefits and lots of opportunities to grow. Friendly environment. Company culture is more amiable since it is employee owned. Flexible schedule and hours.

Pros

Great company with good benefits and lots of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Work/Life balance has been difficult.

Great company

The things I liked: The senior management team cares for all employees regardless of your role in the company and they do a good job of showing it. The pay is favorable, and they have good benefits. There are hybrid work options, depending on your team and manager. They have a nice on-boarding process that involved introducing me around and making sure to invite me to various company meetings and events. I found people at the company to be largely nice, professional, and great to work with.I even had a nice conversation with HR and management before leaving and they invited me to come back at any time and I'm very grateful. As far as leaving a job is concerned this one was a really positive experience I personally would return but perhaps in a different capacity.What I didn't like: There are various marketing teams so your experience will depend largely on your team and whether the team, or people on the team, accepts you or not. It sounds silly, but it’s unfortunately true. I liked working for HDR and did not want to leave, but I started to see problems early on at the team level, and I didn't see that changing. People who have been there a long time can, perhaps unknowingly, be very cliquish. When overworked (which can happen a lot with marketing teams), tensions can rise, and it can get quite uncomfortable. From what I've heard while working there by a lot of people, all the Marketing roles are pretty much the same. They expect the person to do A LOT with little direction and keep piling on work to the point of exhaustion then they wonder why all their marketing people -

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Company Culture, supportive senior management by most

Cons

*See above

Worst Management

Poor management, no teamwork, no career paths for employees, pay and benefit package is competitive but not great, favoritism by the management to specific people which is not great way of management, and pathetic work-life balance.

Great place to work.

Awesome project Team and office support staff. Liked the culture and environment. Ease of communication. Perfect company if looking for a remote work.

Excellent projects with great clients

Wonderful company to work for with great benefits. Super people. great work environment. Lots of travel to different places to meet with clients and super fun people to be with. I highly recommend this organization as they truly do wonderful things for the world.

Great place to learn

Great place to learn if you are just starting out in proposals. Co-workers were supportive of initiatives. Some bad apples, but otherwise a good place to work.

Very Capable Multi-Discipline Firm

This is a good company to get experience from. They have been there and done that in every area of engineering. Someone at the firm will have experience and an example project for you to work from. Because they are a large firm, your job will be very limited in the range of tasks you perform. Everyone is a specialist in a narrow range. Moving up or laterally is difficult. The people are professional and competent and the work environment is business professional.

Overall great place to work

Very inclusive culture. Good work life balance. Option to work from home sometimes since pandemic, depends on manager. Very decent pay for communications.Stable and interesting, challenging work.Supportive learning environment. Loads of networking opportunities within the company

Pros

Good pay, good basic schedule, Wonderful people all around, Kind supportive learning environment, Opportunity to work on a large number and range of projects, I haven't met a mean or difficult person in this entire company

Cons

Heard different things regarding upward mobility- lately been hiring outwardly, Your utilization rate is based on billable client work, any time not spent on client projects hurts UT, conferences end up being more like voluntary hours bc you have to make them up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HDR. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits