Geosyntec Consultants, Inc.

Geosyntec Consultants, Inc. Employee Reviews

What is the best part of working at the company?The benefits and the pay but it’s a harsh work environment and they expect you to resolve 10 things when you were only hired and train to do five. The micromanagement is a problem and the lack of actual training and Plano g of the goalsWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?The workload and the obstacles which you have to figure out and be creative to solve itWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Unfortunately there is no culture of acceptance foreign people let’s say if you re not an engineer everyone else doesn’t existWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?I arrive before 9 a.m and my boss expectsMe to work till 7:00 pm there is no family and personal life work balance,

Great company

Overall Geosyntec is a company that is moving forward in todays world and is a friendly and inviting space. The pay is good and people work with your schedule

Pros

Lots of free lunches

What is the best part of working at the company?Coming from the perspective of a non-IT member of staff, overall, there are fairly high-tech, state-of-the-art IT tools instituted at the company that are pretty regularly updated and improved upon; good IT support although not in every circumstance. Moderate IT staff turn-over, indicating IT management not very capable and not generally supportive of IT staff.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Despite company's claims that it offers a "work-life balance," no such balance exists - interested applicants: BEWARE of this false advertisement in company's job listings. In fact, the culture is one where management demands all staff without exception, eg receptionists included, work until management is satisfied, even if that means working late hours when you were supposed to leave early that day (and had advance approval) to see your kid perform in a school presentation, thus being a missing parent to your kid. Typically the reason for needing to work late is solely due to a very last minute but "absolutely urgent" need of management, and many times the need was something known by management days prior but there is a all too common issue of them waiting until the last minute - very few in management plan ahead. Very unorganized, leading to this unwarranted stress on staff. Also, management expects staff to reply to email/texts/phone calls 24/7, holidays included. Many mid-level staff often work on weekends. Timesheets typically show 60-70 hour weeks. Also the high productivity goals cause stress by causing -

What is the best part of working at the company?The peopleWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Nothing really, it was a very laid back environment, and everyone there was ready to help you at any given timeWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very diverse company to work for! The people were very considerate and always gave a helping hand to each other when needed!What is a typical day like for you at the company?Sit down and look for the work that was given for the day and execute my work load! And throughout the day either the engineers would come to me and ask for my help with changing components or ask me to build something for them

Great company culture, professional growth dependent on manager

Very friendly and welcoming community. Lots of room for professional growth but career advancement is slow. Definitely a rite of passage to get from a Junior level to Senior level.

Pros

Remote work, great benefits, really great group of people to work with

Cons

Pay could be better, bonuses are based on billability.

Hard working but innovative work community.

I would recommend working here if you want to actively control your work and be more autonomous. There is flexibility and understanding from senior management.

Nothing bad about Geosyntec

Geosyntec is my second family! They are supportive in every way! Great people, great opportunities, great work environment, great pay, great benefits!

Pros

Work Environment, Pay, Benefits, Support

Stay away

Rates are way too high for their own good and are not reflected in your pay. They have a false sense of elitism and spend way too much time worried about making their work product look good rather than focusing on the technical merit of the material. Toxic work environment, particularly in Knoxville. Steer clear

Good company

I really enjoyed my position at GeoSyntec. Co-workers were easy to work with, interesting work, & learned new skills.Company is fair, good balance of work & family. Wish I still worked for them.

Pros

Work/family balance, all co-workers easy to work with

Cons

I noted none

"Profitability over everything" corporate culture

They see their staff as billable or non-billable objects. Finding billable hours, specially for the entry level staff is extremely confusing and difficult with absolutely no guidance from management level - field work could be very difficult with very long drive and commute hours

Pros

Professional behavior of staff

Cons

Poor corporate working culture -

Na

Positions are salaried with frequent, unpaid overtime.Billable Hours are the primary metric, so you are required to spend time each week finding projects to bill towards while still meeting your billable targets.

Senior Staff Engineer

The only matrix for evaluating the employees is their billability. If you spend some time for training in a week, you should work 50-60 hrs to compensate your billable hours.

Pros

Helpful colleagues, new projects, broad network

Cons

no work-life balance, low pay for staff level, long field hours

It's a job

It's a job. Not sure its a career - its kind of plug in burn out. Potential for advancement is there but not easy.

High overhead burden

Company has too many non-producing legacy executives with inflated salaries creating high overhead cost and inflated rates in order to carry this burden. Geosyntec only has one metric (chargeability). No metrics for: initiating client engagement, securing new MSAs, increasing client revenues, growing programs and keeping 10-15 people busy. Additionally new employees are routinely required to work beyond 50-60hrs per week and the company does not pay overtime.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Non producing inflated salary executives

The job is what you make it

Geosyntec is a massive company that is lacking in management and junior level development. If you work hard you may see reward, you may not. There isnt much training provided. You need to know your stuff before . There is not much push for work life balance. Most people work 60+ hours a week.

Pros

free lunches and coffee

Cons

management is lacking, long hours, not compensated for overtime

Management only cares about one thing - profit over all else

The stars of this company are those that sacrifice their personal lives to have the most billable hours on their time sheets. Lip service is paid to work life balance, but does not exist. All administrative positions are viewed as a drain on the profitability of the company regardless of how important the work performed by these individuals might be. Those at the very top seem to make it their mission to make all work functions of the company increasingly more difficult and time consuming, while fantasizing that the increased work load can be handled by the same number of individuals. If you have another choice I would recommend that you steer clear of this company. This company could be so much better, but that would require the old guard step away and allow new ideas and opportunities to flourish.

Projects a family atmosphere

I was included in company events and was made to feel comfortable. I had a great sense of accomplishment in my work and was recognized for it. I looked forward to coming into the office every day my job gave me a sense of pride.

Demanding company for field workers extensive travel required difficult to manage having a family life as a field employee office personnel get a much better work life balance

Field work and traveling

Great people to work with and work for. A typical day at work is out if the office on field working with client, contractor and sub contractors. Working approximately 10-12 hours a day including weekends. Excessive traveling out of town and out of state for long period of time. Hardest part of the job is time management and writing a lot of reports. Most enjoyable part of the job is facing new challenges on site.

New management is needed

The most traumatic work experience of my life due to the witch, I mean, office manager. Woman has serious mental issues and insecurities that she likes to take out on people she is intimidated by. Ran 3 employees out the door within her year there. Quit just so that I could keep my sanity and not have to deal with her ever again. Best choice I ever made. Loved the job though!

Industry leader

Geosyntec is a great company. Well managed. Bright colleagues. They push you hard but offer great opportunities for professional growth for ambitious employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Geosyntec Consultants, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • Geosyntec Consultants, Inc.