Brown and Caldwell

Brown and Caldwell Employee Reviews

Long Field Hours

The job is what you make it. Your field hours will be long, but if you like that then this job is for you. Management was excellent, and understood that some aspects of the job are less than fun.

Fantastic culture

I've been working in marketing for BC for about 6 years, and have no intention on leaving. The company truly supports marketing in ways that I have not personally experienced at other AEC firms; I've been doing this for 20 years and this is the 6th AEC firm that I have worked for. I feel challenged, and proud of what I do. The marketing team is extremely strong and is always pushing the limits on proposals and presentations. The firm has a "family feel" but is also a strong national company with technical experts and excellent reputation. I really like the people that I work with! Work/life balance is very important and I feel that I have flexibility when necessary.

Pros

flexiblity, culture, people, exciting projects

Cons

marketing systems need refresh

Great place for a marketer to grow

When I started at BC, I was just out of grad school with a focus on Integrated Marketing Communications. I could have pursued a career in Marketing or PR in basically any industry. I chose the Environmental field and Brown and Caldwell as my "home". That was nearly 16 years ago. I have literally developed myself to a senior-level marketer at just one company, which I know is rare these days. The company's leadership believes and empowers their marketers to have a seat at the table, speak up, and help drive strategy. This comes from the strong sales program and accountability across all level to follow the steps of our sales process. As a marketer at BC, you will be expected to be part of Go No Go discussions, share ideas to build client growth strategy, provide input to create unique messaging and graphics designed to address our client's concerns and issues. This is an environment for marketers who want to push themselves to grow and develop. The firm encourages team work, resource and product sharing, and developing new best practices to continue to improve. They also encourage strong work/life balance for all employees. Over the 1.5 decades I have been at BC, I have seen leadership change a bit but the fundamental culture that supports my career growth has not changed at all. I can't recommend BC enough to someone who wants to join a firm in a great industry that truly is different and special. It is a place to grow, succeed, work hard, and be rewarded both with compensation and through working with some of the best minds in the industry. Join BC - your -

Pros

growth opportunities, supports creativity, healthy work-life balance, interesting work

Innovative and Collaborative Marketers with Strong Management

BC by far has the most innovative and collaborative group of marketers in the business. I've worked for and teamed with other firms and I've come to realize that the marketers here are a huge step above the rest. Marketers are actually given the opportunity to bring their voice to the table and be heard, and their opinions matter. Marketing management at BC is top-notch. Their expectations for performance is high, but that's only because they lead a high-functioning and driven group of marketers. Management provides solid training, and continued guidance and mentoring for all marketers. The work is challenging, but if you're a go-getter with the right attitude and willing to learn, you can have an amazing career here. I've learned so much from this group! I highly recommend working for Brown and Caldwell. This is a place where you are encouraged to collaborate with your team, be creative in your writing and graphics, and learn as much as you can.

Pros

Good leadership, positive environment, you get to be creative.

August 17, 2020
Thanks for sharing! We appreciate your review and are glad to know you’ve consistently had a positive experience at BC.

Leadership empowers marketers as sales professionals

This is the first company I have worked for in the AEC industry (in over 20 years), where leadership (all the way up to the CEO) sees marketers and graphic designers as professionals in their chosen careers and has provided a structure for their empowerment and a seat at the table. Many firms treat these roles as purely support positions without a voice because the marketers and graphic designers aren't providing the core professional service (engineering or architecture) that the firm markets.

Pros

Great company culture, strong leadership, empowerment, career growth potential

Cons

Information Systems and Business Intelligence Systems need updating - thankfully, in process.

Marketing & Creative Services are best in the industry

Great company culture. Leadership is approachable and open to feedback. Enjoy the people the most; all smart, down-to-earth and fun to work with. Been in the industry for 20+ years...have been so impressed with the Marketing & Creative Services teams. Best-in-class.

Pros

Leadership; healthy work environment; virtual company; work/life balance; pay/bonus program;

August 17, 2020
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are incredibly proud of our company culture and are continuing to invest our time/resources in improving the employee journey.

Easy Going

Brown and Caldwell is an amazing place to work for. They care about their employees and everything may have a deadline but you can make it easily. We all worked together to get projects done, and to work with vendors and clients.

admin

this is a fantastic company I would recommend anyone works here and they management is amazing. I was in the admin position helping run a construction site

Fast Paced

I worked at Brown and Caldwell for over 24 years and gained a great deal of experience and opportunities for advancement during my tenure there. To this day, I still have contacts with folks from there and even work with some Brown and Caldwell folks here in my current position.

August 17, 2020
Thank you for the feedback! We are glad to know you were satisfied with your time spent at Brown and Caldwell.

I loved this company

Brown and Caldwell was a great company to work for. i worked for them twice. The first time i got laid off because they lost a big contract and didn't have enough work. The second time i was hired for a specific projedt. When it was over, they didnt have enough work for me so i was laid off again. In spite of that, they treat their employees well and have lots of benefits.

Pros

Nice company culture

Cons

When business gets slow, they have laoffs, but that is the nature of the business.

Temporary position

It was a temporary assignment that used BST for project billing and Ms Excel for reporting and also Intraviewer software was used for back up storage and handling.

Pros

Temporary position

Cons

Temporary position

Highly technically competent. Provies training to junior engineers.fair and balanced to all

Brown and Caldwell is a highly technically competent firm in the water and wastewater industry. The management is highly competent and supportive. benefits are competitive in the industry. Firm is Safety oriented.

Pros

Technical competence

It's consulting...

Lots of opportunity (if you're a favorite). Very management heavy and very difficult to get promotions. Pay is about average and they will pay you for billable hours worked over 40 (which is nice and not always typical in consulting).

Pros

Opportunities to work remote - which is fantastic!

Cons

Hard to move up in the company.

challenging

The work environment was rather difficult. It was hard to tell who was in charge most of the time and people ended up working against each other. There was good work being done but too many people involved in directing. Being specific to water/wastewater put them at risk of running out of work if there were not many projects to be had.

Pros

Downtown, latest cad programs, innovative techniques

Cons

Too many managers, lack of clear direction

It all depends on who you work with

The office environment was not great, but I worked with a virtual team who were all amazing. The hours were flexible and it was very family oriented. The company as a whole is nice and lots of cross office collaboration. Office management was a joke.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

Offfice management

Overall good place to work...

Worked there for over 17 years. Saw many people come and go over the years. Office grew from 60 people up to over 220 at the peak, then back down to 60 again.

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, nice offices and equipment

Cons

Poor management

Doing good work with great people

As an accountant in a waste water engineering and water resources management firm I found the work I did supporting great environmental projects that were making people's live better to be very fulfilling. I enjoyed all my time at Brown & Caldwell and I worked with some of the very brightest engineers in the business providing clean water solutions around the globe. I spent over ten years there and that is a testament to the environment that to me was almost drama free as we all knew our jobs and stuck the roles we were assigned.

Pros

Office location and environment. Great people.

Cons

Having to leave when my position was eliminated in Seattle office

Enjoyed the employees I worked with

As an employee owned corporation, I was happy to be a part of the team in the Nashville office and was able to provide good client billing service to other Brown and Caldwell offices located in Virginia Beach, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Washington DC.

Pros

Working with the various Brown and Caldwell offices

Cons

Management was 'hands off' for the most part.

Good work/life balance, slow to increase responsibility

The people at the company are fantastic to be around and act more like a family than a company. Staff is top-heavy so getting more interesting work is difficult as a young engineer. Great for mid-career types with kids, not so great for ambitious young professionals. Work weeks are usually 40 hours and the culture is very relaxed.

Beneficial?

Learned a handful of things, wasn't until later I learned what kind of engineering was being done. Selected number of people are most excellent to learn from, both professionally and personally.

Pros

Food and pay

Cons

Bosses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown and Caldwell. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • Brown and Caldwell
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?