Brown and Caldwell

Brown and Caldwell Employee Reviews

Long Field Hours

The job is what you make it. Your field hours will be long, but if you like that then this job is for you. Management was excellent, and understood that some aspects of the job are less than fun.

Excellent Company with a Great Culture

-Workplace culture is excellent -Not as much job advancement as hoped -The hardest part of the job is tracking time -Upper management is great with communication

I really liked BC. Good company culture, management was really connected to people and offices were really connected to each other. There's a lot of experience and expertise at the company, and for people in engineering roles there are a lot of good mentors around.

Dull and unproductive

no project work available for at least 18 months, became a glorified stock worker, maintaining basic office machines, supplies and office cleaning. management had to manufacture problems to release my position.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

position's management was passed around yearly, so no-one was truly aware of the positions abilities

HIGH turnover. No integrity. No ethics. No leadership.

If you want to work at a place with ZERO direction, ZERO management with leadership ability, then this is the place for you. BC follows the old style project management which is to buy projects and take the cheapest way to finish. Brush it under the rug with no engineering. Then throw you under the bus because the PM didn't budget correctly. This place also has the worst standards in the industry. This place is known for using engineer stamps without their knowledge, not completing projects, and discrimination. High turnover.

Pros

They'll pay you out so you don't sue them.

Cons

Low staff retention. Low salaries.

Fun place to learn

My daily experience as a modeling engineer is challenging and at the same time rewarding. Great experience with highly qualified engineers. The hardest part of the job is to comply the 40 hours.

Pros

great place to learn

Cons

no cons

Capricious, Arbitrary, and Opaque

Folks are kept out of the loop on purpose, so it is hard to figure out the what is going on, who is deciding what, expectations, direction, etc. very little feedback.

Pros

free coffee

Cons

smothering bureaucracy

Challenging Work with Life Balance

Leadership is demanding and fair. Projects are varied from investigations and reports to small design efforts.Some Federal work possible. Future work load has great potential to grow. Co-workers are great to be and work around.

Office culture was great and smart co-workers. Great technical people and resources. Company also has a great name in the wastewater field. Good information sharing and a great virtual office company.

Pros

Collaborative staff

Cons

Not profitable. Too much dead weight in middle management

Good people

Overall I enjoyed my time working at Brown and Caldwell. For the most part I felt supported as an employee but there might be a disconnect between management's perspective/understanding and some of the day-to-day realities and challenges. Most of my colleagues were easy to work with and seemed to have the client's best interest at heart. My schedule was reasonably flexible so work/life balance was pretty good as long as the work got done somehow.

BEWARE - Water Modeler / Smart Utility Engineer

Trust me. You don't want to work for the people in this group in Atlanta. The guy you'll work for is a liar and manipulative person. Lot's of staff leaving and I'm hitting the road soon. Office lead and SE area manager is calling all hands meetings to address staff turnover. Hello? it's you dummy. PMs/CSMs are very controlling and use technical staff as they need them, then discard at the drop of the hat. You are definitely a pawn at this company. Firm lacks strong leadership and follow through. The Consulting Group lead is a real piece of work really lacks authenticity. Alot of talk by senior leadership but nothing ever gets implemented at middle management level. Meanwhile your career stagnates. They also fired someone recently that was really unfair. See other one star posts in this about Atlanta office and smart utility group being a real mess. Get me out of here!

Pros

If you're a lemming you'll fit in nicely

Cons

But before you know it you'll be pushed off a cliff

Nice people to work with

Over the years I was there the company went through several management changes that change to focus, expectations and requirements for my job. I was not given enough time to make all of the sudden changes they were expecting. And with the department being understaff severely, I do not think that it will get better for the department any time soon.

Pros

Travel was nice, benefits were good. Pay was good, people were great

Cons

Understaffed, no desire to backfill, expectations of workload greater than can be reasonably be expected

No leadership

It’s more about the clients and less about the employees. Management is more concerned with the bottom line and doesn’t care about developing their employees. Most of corporate has moved to Denver with the new CEO coming up with scripted messages that sounds robotic and fake. Management thinks they’re better than the bigger competitors but in reality they’re just stroking their egos. They are behind in technology from all aspects of the business and will be crushed by their competitors if changes in management do not change. Wake up and hire people who knows how to market the company. Budgets are getting cut and resources are slim. The website looks like something from the 1990’s where their competitors are light years ahead of them. They say they are “the company of choice” but in reality it’s their choice to be out of touch and clueless.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Management is clueless

Excellent flexibility

BC has a great virtual working model and allowing employees flexibility. Strategy was clear from the CEO and easy to resonate with. I enjoy the work I to do and the leaders I work with.

Not really tough

No organization and had to tell how to prepare a peanut butter n jelly sandwich to a customer that didn't know how to fix one. Also it wasn't very intense. It was average. Not bad.

Geologist I

Mostly field work from my experience. Do not expect a 40 hour work week they push to get you to work longer. Office is nice with amenities, coffee, fridge, etc.

Poor Management

At Brown and Caldwell you can not advance very easily. You are expected to work as a higher level than you are by teaching yourself rather than by being taught and then advancing and gaining more responsibility as you get stronger. Also, the management likes to work from home rather than lead by example in the office. But, on the lower, non-management end, people cannot work from home unless they have good reason to do so.

Poor Management and Lack of ANY Direction

Very poor management who did not back employees in any way. Unrealistic expectations on scope and deadlines for work. Standards are nonexistent and everyone just does there own thing. BC tried to be a “Virtual “ Company but does not have any established standard. Management stabs you in the back when unrealistic expectations are clearly documented. Manager even admitted that he should have “shown you this months ago” but then lied while on a call with his boss. Very unprofessional. Many of the people in my office were very nice but all supervisors reside in a different area of th US. My experience was horrible and I would not recommend Brown and Caldwell.

Pros

People in my office were nice but I didn’t work directly with them

Cons

Horrible Supervisor Practices. Very Unprofessional

Very happily new to the BC team!

great work/life balance, flexible when necessary formal training process mentoring opportunities great team environment career growth encouraged rising professional group

Pros

Initailly given guidance, training, and responsibility and then are able to run with your abilities.

Cons

Positions require being proactive and having self-discipline to accomplish goals, must also be accountable for deadlines.

Fun place to work

Brown and Caldwell has a great culture and values its employees. You work with some of the biggest names in the industry and some of the most well known projects. You are respected, valued and attention is brought to your accomplishments.

Pros

Great culture

Cons

Outstanding environment for marketers to learn, grow and have fun.

I have been with Brown and Caldwell for more than a decade in a variety of leadership roles. Marketers are respected as business partners and valued for their expertise in the sales process. The marketing team functions as a collaborative and supportive team. Employees are empowered to innovate and advance best practices fueling company growth and personal career advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown and Caldwell. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits