Brown and Caldwell

Brown and Caldwell Employee Reviews

Long Field Hours

The job is what you make it. Your field hours will be long, but if you like that then this job is for you. Management was excellent, and understood that some aspects of the job are less than fun.

Brown and Caldwell embraces a healthy work-life balance and personal flexibility.

Brown and Caldwell provides great work/life balance and flexibility so that you can get work done and still be able to prioritize your personal life. A lot of the experience at BC depends upon your ability to manage your work without having to be "spoon fed" and managed hands-on. As with any company, your experience at Brown and Caldwell and your progression/advancement depends heavily upon your character and how well you fit into the culture of the company. There are no limits to increasing your skills and knowledge - except your own limitations. Benefits and ESOP program are the best I have seen for a company of this size.

Pros

Healthy work-life balance and personal flexibility.

Cons

As with any company, there are differences in office culture depending upon the location.

Great professional work environment with highly skilled employees.

This is a great place to work, IF there is work. While the company management do what they can within their power to keep you working, the work eventually run out and you're stuck without a paycheck. Benefits are slim if you're not full time.

Pros

You are provided with the necessary tools, equipment, etc to perform your role. Everyone is friendly, knowledgeable and willing to help if needed. Education and or training is paid for.

Cons

No guarantee of consistent full time work. No benefits if you're not full time.

like family

during my time with BC, it was like family. And like any family, there will be conflicts. for the most part though, my supervisor was very knowledgeable and very aware of my potential, so that made it a more pleasant work environment. he was most willing to share his expertise and show us how and where to access necessary and appropriate resources for improving skillsets. office politics were minimal. the hardest part of the job was when it came time to move on to other prospects, leaving those that were my office family. a smaller firm (in size) but very capable of competing with firms much larger.

Family work atmosphere and robust safety management system.

I was let go due to COVID-19 workforce reduction. They did everything they could to keep me. Upper management has called to check up on me. The best HSE department and professionals I have ever worked with. I pray they hire me back once things get better.

Pros

Professional development and excellent sources of safety professional.

Cons

Nothing negative to say.

Great Employees, Bad Management

The company used COVID-19 as the perfect storm to layoff staff that otherwise would have opened them up to legal repercussions. C-level management maintained salaries and retained or promoted friends and favorites -- clearly decisions were more about personal "wants" than justifiable (sound) business decisions. A cut list was drafted prior to week 1 of the remote mandate...it doesn't take a genius to connect the dots.

Pros

Flexibility, healthcare benefits

Cons

Lack of respect for lower level staff

Great systems that allows for easy remote working ability

Great management team that cares for all staff and helps drive positive culture. The company has responded well to the recent COVID-19 pandemic and has allowed staff to take home office equipment for better ergo/comport while working remotely.

Official response from Brown and Caldwell

August 17, 2020
We are so grateful for your kind words. Thanks for sharing your review with us and the BC community.

Ability to work from home

I enjoyed working at Brown and Caldwell. They encourage working from home and trust their employees. The people are friendly and easy to fit in as a new employee.

Wonderful Start, Company Changed Over Time

This was one of my very favorite jobs I have ever had. I loved everything about the company for the first few years I worked there, but towards the end the culture and management changed drastically, and I was no longer as happy to work there, and ultimately left the company. If they hadnt brought in the new office manager, and if I didnt believe that they were dangerously close to going public as a company, I would still be there today.

Bad Management

When I started with the company 8 years ago it was great, my boss was someone I really respected and enjoyed working with. The company seemed to care about it's employees. Over the next 5 years lot's of changes were made, lot's of upper management changes and new ways of running the company. In the end it was clear the new people who run the company don't really care about their employees at all, they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Big wigs make the big bucks and keep their huge salaries during hard times but lay off great employees who have devoted their lives to their jobs for many many years then get dumped. I would not recommend working for this company.

Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table

I experienced fluctuations, for example, most weeks we had a ton of work and some weeks were slow. Everyone is nice, helpful, and knowledgeable. I was able to travel quite a bit and gain more field experience on top of design work. The hardest part of the job is figuring things out on your own, however, the subject matter experts (SMEs) are there to review your work and help you grow.

Great company

Highly recommend BC! They get it as far as how they value people. Promotion opportunities. Very good leadership. Mostly remote workforce allows for a lot of flexibility.

BC has excellent technical capabilities, but has some organizational difficulties.

Brown and Caldwell has some of the brightest minds for environmental work. They are forward thinking in their approach to issues and genially care about the work that they do. I would have liked to have seen more support for entrepreneurial work, especially for small startup projects (they are only interested in large jobs). I would have liked a greater sense of community, organization, and managerial support.

Good for recent graduates

Good place to start for recent graduates or senior staff. It is harder to find opportunity for progression during intermediate level. Company culture depends on office location.

Innovative and forward thinking

A very innovative and forward thinking firm with many, many very talented and bright employees. The firm is flexible with work locations and hours with excellent benefits. Employees who excel are rewarded, which is also helps retain the best and brightest.

Great company

Employee owned so people are motivated to perform well. Bonuses are given based in profitability. People across company are willing to help BC meet client expectations.

Flexible with opportunity to be creative

Coming from a very small company (under 100 employees), BC is a perfect size. It has been around long enough and is big enough to feel stable but also is small enough to encourage innovation and creativity and give everyone the opportunity to make their mark. The leadership has been active in addressing diversity and organizational health, which I appreciate. The work-life balance is the best I've encountered in my career.

Great People

I have been with Brown and Caldwell since 2000, the culture and people who work here make the job feel like you are actually part of something. All the way up to the CEO, you can get answers to almost any question you may have about your workplace.

Great Place to work

Brown and Caldwell is also one of those great places to work where the culture is one of the best I have seen. Many people stay there their entire careers.

Great Company

I've worked at BC for 2.5 years now and have enjoyed it very much. In my experience managers are very willing to listen to ideas and empower their employees. I was also accommodated when I wanted to move to a different department to relocate to another city.

Excellent Company with a Great Culture

-Workplace culture is excellent -Not as much job advancement as hoped -The hardest part of the job is tracking time -Upper management is great with communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown and Caldwell. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits