Al Jazeera Academy

Al Jazeera Academy Employee Reviews

Good Experience
DHT (Current Employee) –  DohaMay 23, 2019
It was an authentic experience of Qatar, teaching and catering for Qatari students. The school has 90% Qatari students coming from wealthy backgrounds.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
short breaks
Fun workplace
Shadow Teacher (Former Employee) –  DohaDecember 1, 2017
A truly amazing school where children are really nurtured and allowed to flourish both academically and emotionally. Definitely one of a kind to go school
General
Deputy Headteacher (Former Employee) –  QatarJuly 28, 2017
Learnt a lot
fast paced always on the go
Teachers move as if on a conveyor belt - most international schools are similar
support or stability
Enjoyed my time there, learnt a lot
enjoy to teach students in swimming
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  DohaApril 16, 2017
Start the class at 7:20-1:45 alternate of teaching PE and swimming.
I learned a lot of things includes how to manage the huge number of students.
As international teacher I teach different nationalities with the different culture and beliefs.
Regarding to the hardest part of the job, I don't have any difficulties in my workplace.
The most enjoyable part of my job If I saw a all students in progress and they enjoy their lesson while they are learning.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
school holidays
Productive and fun workplace
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  DohaMarch 19, 2017
A lovely school with good teachers to help with the advancements of students to their next phase and also to help them see that the world is beyond where they are.
Fun workplace with great students.
Business Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  State of QatarNovember 16, 2016
It is a fun workplace if you enjoy helping the students to achieve, however the learning culture remains a lot to be desired. The students are so rich that they have very little motivation to work hard to achieve. There is a lot of truancy and behavior problems and the management is unable or unwilling to deal with parents regarding student's attitudes.
Although the school is one of the richest and most prominent, it lacks the necessary resources or maintenance of existing resources to functional levels.
The salary was better compared to other schools but the cost of living is considerably going up and the salaries are not keeping in check with expenses particularly with the lowering of petrol prices which has greatly affected the GDP of the state thus trickling down to the ordinary workers.
Do not expect much independent work from students, particularly home work from students and the level of absenteeism is extremely high thus requiring of the teacher to do an awe full lot of catching up all the time in class with absent students thus setting your plan way behind schedule.
Pros
Nice students, good pay, Good people generally, safe to work. Fantastic modern society.
Cons
No motivation by students, Management lack the drive to engage parents.
exhausting
Homeroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  DohaOctober 24, 2016
Work lacked organisation and morales, constantly changing management and policies, no security in position. The work load is exhausting and goals often idealistic more to impossible. It was hard to implement international programs in inadequate environments.
Pros
20 teaching hours per week
Cons
heavy load of work
productive day- never a dull moment
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  DohaMarch 13, 2016
A typical day at work starts at 7:20 with staff briefing followed by the first lesson. My day is filled with excitement and tears from the students as different types of challenges are faced on a regular basis which I find can be the hardest part of the job. Mostly the experience of being part of the success and progress of the students makes my job interesting as I get to celebrate with them. Watching them grow holistically allows me to see the their different characteristics develop which allows me to cater for this in my planning. The staff are wonderful and we are a close team in the department who are always willing to support each other. Management is always there to offer support and are keen to see staff develop further with their careers. Overall I work in a safe, student friendly environment.
Pros
shorter days
Cons
challenging and demanding
Amazing cultural experience
Teacher of English, Secondary (Former Employee) –  Doha, QatarJune 20, 2014
All lessons taught in English, delivering the National Curriculum for England and Wales. Five lesson day teaching KS3 to KS5. Lively but very friendly students; very supportive and collegiate English Department. Gained invaluable experience in teaching English Language and Literature as a Second Language; gained a certificate for being a qualified Judge in the Doha Schools Debating Society; met and made friends with teachers from around the world; learned a great deal about Qatari culture and beliefs.
Management changed constantly and were under pressure from the owner of the school (there are no state state schools or teaching unions in Qatar) and this made for a very pressured and tense working atmosphere. Students were the most enjoyable part of the job, being open and friendly and wanting to learn.
Pros
Nice students; helpful colleagues; tax free salary
Cons
Insecure positions for all teaching staff due to culture of management.
Teaching in primary for the first time
Primary PE Teacher (Current Employee) –  DohaFebruary 8, 2014
Early morning starts while it was nice and cool. Teaching younger students with lots of enthusiasm and energy was fun. Pe dept separate from rest of school, hard to mix with rest of primary at times due to lesson constraints. Hardest part was the early mornings, best part was seeing them achieve I their PE lesson and be excited about it.
Pros
sunshine
Cons
lack of shaded areas in summer months