Al Jazeera Academy

Al Jazeera Academy Employee Reviews

Qatar14 reviews
good;include challenging and stimulating continuous provision. Happy safe independent learners. A continuous integrated theme throughout all areas. Opportunities for child initiated activities and direction. Empowered individuals who have high expectations of themselves, adults and children. Also planned learning to meet individual abilities.
This was the worst experience of my life.

I worked in a particular department and ended up teaching most of the classes, apart from three or four select ones which the Head of Department taught.

The management was atrocious and believe it is still there to this day.

I left because the behaviour of the students became so terrible and when I spoke up about it, I was told I was a bad teacher and needed to improve otherwise I would be let go.

I finally left after being assaulted by three female students in class and observing the management do nothing.

When I spoke to senior management ,nothing was done and later the same students assaulted another member of staff.

The students are able to behave badly because they are aware ,that the western school management, will not tackle their bad behaviour, because they're afraid of losing their own jobs.
Pros
Weather was great, Amazing Bliss Spa in Doha
Cons
Stressful work environment, Accommodation had so many issues.
Please do your research before coming to Al Jazeera, one of the worst schools ive ever worked for. The behaviour of the students is absolutely awful.

Management will turn a blind eye on students behaviour as they come from powerful families. Its probably one of the worst schools in Qatar. Please do your research
Pros
Get paid on time
Cons
Blame culture, poor leadership and too many yes men
It was an authentic experience of Qatar, teaching and catering for Qatari students. The school has 90% Qatari students coming from wealthy backgrounds.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
short breaks
A truly amazing school where children are really nurtured and allowed to flourish both academically and emotionally. Definitely one of a kind to go school
Learnt a lot
fast paced always on the go

Teachers move as if on a conveyor belt - most international schools are similar

support or stability

Enjoyed my time there, learnt a lot
Start the class at 7:20-1:45 alternate of teaching PE and swimming.
I learned a lot of things includes how to manage the huge number of students.

As international teacher I teach different nationalities with the different culture and beliefs.

Regarding to the hardest part of the job, I don't have any difficulties in my workplace.

The most enjoyable part of my job If I saw a all students in progress and they enjoy their lesson while they are learning.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
school holidays
A lovely school with good teachers to help with the advancements of students to their next phase and also to help them see that the world is beyond where they are.
It is a fun workplace if you enjoy helping the students to achieve, however the learning culture remains a lot to be desired. The students are so rich that they have very little motivation to work hard to achieve. There is a lot of truancy and behavior problems and the management is unable or unwilling to deal with parents regarding student's attitudes.
Although the school is one of the richest and most prominent, it lacks the necessary resources or maintenance of existing resources to functional levels.

The salary was better compared to other schools but the cost of living is considerably going up and the salaries are not keeping in check with expenses particularly with the lowering of petrol prices which has greatly affected the GDP of the state thus trickling down to the ordinary workers.

Do not expect much independent work from students, particularly home work from students and the level of absenteeism is extremely high thus requiring of the teacher to do an awe full lot of catching up all the time in class with absent students thus setting your plan way behind schedule.
Pros
Nice students, good pay, Good people generally, safe to work. Fantastic modern society.
Cons
No motivation by students, Management lack the drive to engage parents.
Work lacked organisation and morales, constantly changing management and policies, no security in position. The work load is exhausting and goals often idealistic more to impossible. It was hard to implement international programs in inadequate environments.
Pros
20 teaching hours per week
Cons
heavy load of work
A typical day at work starts at 7:20 with staff briefing followed by the first lesson. My day is filled with excitement and tears from the students as different types of challenges are faced on a regular basis which I find can be the hardest part of the job. Mostly the experience of being part of the success and progress of the students makes my job interesting as I get to celebrate with them. Watching them grow holistically allows me to see the their different characteristics develop which allows me to cater for this in my planning. The staff are wonderful and we are a close team in the department who are always willing to support each other. Management is always there to offer support and are keen to see staff develop further with their careers. Overall I work in a safe, student friendly environment.
Pros
shorter days
Cons
challenging and demanding
All lessons taught in English, delivering the National Curriculum for England and Wales. Five lesson day teaching KS3 to KS5. Lively but very friendly students; very supportive and collegiate English Department. Gained invaluable experience in teaching English Language and Literature as a Second Language; gained a certificate for being a qualified Judge in the Doha Schools Debating Society; met and made friends with teachers from around the world; learned a great deal about Qatari culture and beliefs.
Management changed constantly and were under pressure from the owner of the school (there are no state state schools or teaching unions in Qatar) and this made for a very pressured and tense working atmosphere. Students were the most enjoyable part of the job, being open and friendly and wanting to learn.
Pros
Nice students; helpful colleagues; tax free salary
Cons
Insecure positions for all teaching staff due to culture of management.
Its well balanced company with all types of professional peoples enjoy your job with personal life, you will get time for everything.
Early morning starts while it was nice and cool. Teaching younger students with lots of enthusiasm and energy was fun. Pe dept separate from rest of school, hard to mix with rest of primary at times due to lesson constraints. Hardest part was the early mornings, best part was seeing them achieve I their PE lesson and be excited about it.
Pros
sunshine
Cons
lack of shaded areas in summer months