Occidental Petroleum Employee Reviews

Friendly,felt very secure
Supervisor process. Eng (Former Employee) –  Burlington,n.j.February 9, 2018
Great company to work for up after acquiring plant of competition personnel from acquir plant help key roles & now production standards fell & started to lose customer. I then decided to retire
Too many managers
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Too many managers. The company needs to have a flatter organizational structure. It was difficult at times to get work done without obtaining multiple layers of managerial approval.
Decent company to work for. Sometimes it is too fast paced.
Reservoir Engineering Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 27, 2018
Working in multidisciplinary environment with engineers and geoscientists. Learning new technical skills. Ability to see my projects come to fruition.
Workplace culture is friendly and collaborative. Sometimes there are too many firedrills, that are very distractive to technical groups.
and being able to apply my managerial skills
The hardest and at the same time the most enjoyable part of my job are the people I work with
The work conditions are nice and some of the people were great
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 15, 2018
Management is lackluster at best they don't care what goes on only that they get their paychecks. None of the management is in touch with the other departments they don't care what goes on just as long as you don't get in there way. If you try to make suggestions they just act like you are trying to step on their toes. The job is nice you get every other Friday off but you have to put up with a lot of politics and other draining things.
Pros
Every other Friday off
Cons
Productive, educational environment to work in,
Operator (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 14, 2018
People's person, love learning and developing new skills, competitive but understand the importance of being a team player, willing to learn in any area recommended.
10 years of Dedication
Vehicle Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 11, 2018
A typical day at work would be relaxed with minimal supervision. You are trusted to do your job without being micro managed. Being with a company for 10 says alot about the culture of the company. High standards and hard work is appreciated and also rewarding. The hardest part of my job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of my job was being the new hire coordinator, loved meeting new employees representing the face of the company.
Fun and fast
Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  OMJanuary 7, 2018
Great Place to work willing to train you
and had many place to work. Got to see the world. Management was great and treated you like you and your family came first
Occidental Petroleum Oil & Gas, empresa multinacional, brindó un ambiente seguro y apropiado de trabajo con intercomunicación entre los niveles.
Oficial de Seguridad (Former Employee) –  EcuadorJanuary 3, 2018
Comunicación directa con la gerencia para informar de la situación de seguridad del Área de Operaciones y sobre potenciales riesgos para el personal de la compañía y la operación de la misma y, recomendar las acciones a fin de eliminar, en el mejor de los casos, o minimizar tales riesgos de seguridad.

Aprendí que, lineamientos y/o directrices claras comunicadas, oportunamente, a los empleados más la aplicación de altos estándares dan como resultado logros/satisfacciones personales e institucionales.

Una de la mayores satisfacciones fue el haber enfrentado retos de gran escala que demandaron tiempo, esfuerzo y sacrificio de los empleados en la consecución de los objetivos de la empresa.

Lo anteriormente manifestado, me permitió alcanzar un grado de madurez en las actividades gerenciales.
Pros
La comunicación abierta y transparente con los niveles gerenciales
Cons
Ninguna
Permian
Drill Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXDecember 27, 2017
Cool area to work. Met a lot of great guys with years of experience. It was fast paced drilling and we were allowed to change things as we saw fit, which was nice.
New Branch of Occidental
DCS Board Operator/Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, TXNovember 18, 2017
The atmosphere is laid back but thier supervisors lack the experience in managing the process and thier people. They lack on training in specific posotions critical to the process and what thier goal is. No procedures to follow only word of mouth or supervisor emails. It is a very political atmosphere to worl in with the blind leading the blind. Thier supervisors are so inexperienced, that the try to wing it as much as they can to get by. They need an experienced trainer specifically for operators and DCS personnel and a training program specific to the facilty instead of through emails and word of mouth. They have alot of growing to do in this industry before they conssider themselves leaders in this industry.
Pros
Competetive pay
Cons
Poor Leadership
Two faced stupidity
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYNovember 18, 2017
I own the faults I made while employed here. However, unless you had a father or relative that was a salaried employee at some point working at Oxy don't plan on advancing. The Union will only fight for you if it's in their political interest. So unless you have the ability to lie with a straight face and can transfer blame on someone else, you'll be quite successful. Should you unfortunately have a conscience, you're going to suffer.
Pros
They love giving clothes.
Cons
The schedule, the work enviroment, management......
I love this Job
Security/Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CANovember 6, 2017
I was only an intern but it was the greatest job i had. the people were so friendly and kind. there were all kinds of characters while working there but it felt like an actual family. I miss working here and hope people that work here have the same experience as I.
great place to have worked
Reserve Engineer Tech III (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 6, 2017
Maybe my first and only corporate exposure I will ever attain.
20 years of learning and development for myself. stressful at times, due to my lack of education and experience in that Oil and Gas industry. A blessed sequence of events led me throughout my employment with Cities Service and Occidental. I was given opportunities there to advance myself, and with great supervisors and managers, ended up with a good salary. Took a VSP package
back in '96, which in hind site may not have been the best decision
I've ever made, but so be it.
Pros
work envirnment, benefits, fellow workers, supervisors, managers
Cons
deadlines, auditors, my own iniquities as far as lack of a Degree.
Good Environment
Production Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2017
Working at Oxy is very rewarding. Given real-life responsibility early in career. Ample opportunities to move within company if desired. Worked very hard to keep all Oxy employees throughout the dowturn. Very loyal to their employees.
Pros
9/80 schedule, job security, early responsibilities, Ceo, value emplyees
Cons
Office Location
Good Review
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2017
Oxy Travel is the nicest Agency I've worked in.
Management is awsome and the employees all top shelf
I was a contract worker but work there again if they called me..
Pros
Small, Professional, relaxed
Cons
The workload can be stressful
Very productive nd challenging environment
Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 26, 2017
Very friendly and supportive work environment with full of challenges. Always enjoyed working for OXY. Due to the downturn in oil and gas industry I was forced to take an early retirement package along with several other senior managers.
Pros
Full of challenges. Caring and supportive.
Cons
Highly stressed at times
ok job
Compression Operator/Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Taft, CAOctober 25, 2017
good job to have people are will help you learned your job
the management are good to you the culture is enjoyable
a typical day was a fun one the work is hard but fun
Pros
na
Cons
na
Oxy spun off to anothere Compay
Administrative Assistant/Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 14, 2017
Because of the spin off, I was offered a package for early retirement.I loved my Job with Oxy but due to spin off and low oil prices a downsizing took place. I enjoyed my job very much.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Micromanaged
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2017
Manager functions as a micromanager.
They cater to people that should not be there and they let people go that are great workers.

The company is great just certain departments you won' t ever promote up especially If you are not in the manager's click.
Cons
Micormanaged
Awesome
Project Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 11, 2017
I had a great time working at Oxy. Unfortunately my assignment ended. I hope to be recalled for another upcoming project. I worked on the SENM project. Great Experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Occidental Petroleum. Our community is ready to answer.