Occidental Petroleum Employee Reviews

New Branch of Occidental
DCS Board Operator/Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, TXNovember 18, 2017
The atmosphere is laid back but thier supervisors lack the experience in managing the process and thier people. They lack on training in specific posotions critical to the process and what thier goal is. No procedures to follow only word of mouth or supervisor emails. It is a very political atmosphere to worl in with the blind leading the blind. Thier supervisors are so inexperienced, that the try to wing it as much as they can to get by. They need an experienced trainer specifically for operators and DCS personnel and a training program specific to the facilty instead of through emails and word of mouth. They have alot of growing to do in this industry before they conssider themselves leaders in this industry.
Pros
Competetive pay
Cons
Poor Leadership
Two faced stupidity
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYNovember 18, 2017
I own the faults I made while employed here. However, unless you had a father or relative that was a salaried employee at some point working at Oxy don't plan on advancing. The Union will only fight for you if it's in their political interest. So unless you have the ability to lie with a straight face and can transfer blame on someone else, you'll be quite successful. Should you unfortunately have a conscience, you're going to suffer.
Pros
They love giving clothes.
Cons
The schedule, the work enviroment, management......
great place to have worked
Reserve Engineer Tech III (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 6, 2017
Maybe my first and only corporate exposure I will ever attain.
20 years of learning and development for myself. stressful at times, due to my lack of education and experience in that Oil and Gas industry. A blessed sequence of events led me throughout my employment with Cities Service and Occidental. I was given opportunities there to advance myself, and with great supervisors and managers, ended up with a good salary. Took a VSP package
back in '96, which in hind site may not have been the best decision
I've ever made, but so be it.
Pros
work envirnment, benefits, fellow workers, supervisors, managers
Cons
deadlines, auditors, my own iniquities as far as lack of a Degree.
Good Environment
Production Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2017
Working at Oxy is very rewarding. Given real-life responsibility early in career. Ample opportunities to move within company if desired. Worked very hard to keep all Oxy employees throughout the dowturn. Very loyal to their employees.
Pros
9/80 schedule, job security, early responsibilities, Ceo, value emplyees
Cons
Office Location
Good Review
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2017
Oxy Travel is the nicest Agency I've worked in.
Management is awsome and the employees all top shelf
I was a contract worker but work there again if they called me..
Pros
Small, Professional, relaxed
Cons
The workload can be stressful
ok job
Compression Operator/Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Taft, CAOctober 25, 2017
good job to have people are will help you learned your job
the management are good to you the culture is enjoyable
a typical day was a fun one the work is hard but fun
Pros
na
Cons
na
Micromanaged
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2017
Manager functions as a micromanager.
They cater to people that should not be there and they let people go that are great workers.

The company is great just certain departments you won' t ever promote up especially If you are not in the manager's click.
Cons
Micormanaged
Awesome
Project Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 11, 2017
I had a great time working at Oxy. Unfortunately my assignment ended. I hope to be recalled for another upcoming project. I worked on the SENM project. Great Experience.
Great place to learn
Production Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXOctober 1, 2017
If you are looking to get hands on experience then OxyChem is the place to be. You get the opportunity to learn as much as you can by helping with S/U and S/D.
Pros
Hands on, great experience
Cons
Long Hours
Excellent company to work for
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2017
I worked in the Oxy Travel Dept and always had a pleasant day interacting with Occidental Petroleum employees. Employees were always courteous giving you the time you needed to perform your duties.
Cons
IT Manager - Systems Development & Integrations (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2017
Excellent people within a competitive environment.
Although company is changing, still some management from the past sticking around. Some confusion on direction.
Oxy keeps your job safe.
Decent place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2017
Good place to work with good pay and benefits. Plenty of training provided. Limited opportunity for advancement. Less than stellar atmosphere with current oil prices
Great Place to Work
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2017
I have been at Oxy for 5 years, and I continue to grow and learn, expanding my knowledge daily. The people of Oxy are wonderful and I would recommend working at Oxy. We are about collaboration, innovation and integrity.
Pros
9/80 schedule
Have to work very hard to become a permanent employee but not sure that the pay is worth it.
Accounting Specialist, Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2017
A very fast pace position that does require a lot of muti-tasking when working in the Accounts Payable side of the company. You will start out as a contract worker and then after a year or maybe even long you will eventually become permanent.
Fun place to work
Open Wells data entry (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 23, 2017
I learned all about the oil/gas industry. I entered data into open wells that was given to me by my supervisors. Overall everyone was great to work with and I enjoyed my time there.
I loved my time with Oxy
Records Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 20, 2017
One of the best places I have ever worked. I just wish it didn't have to end when it did. Occidental was a throw back company as far as how they took care of their employees, and how loyal the employees were to Oxy.
Pros
Compensation and culture
Good Company
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 13, 2017
Good company to work for, pay is decent. not the best but not the worst. OT shortage because of over hiring. typica work day consists of maint. readings and samples.
Project Manager
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2017
Occidental Petroleum is a great company and I really enjoyed working there. Positions within the company are limited due to the price of oil being so low.
Transportation Logistics Coordinator
Tranportation, Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 24, 2017
typical would be dispatching trucks onto barge for equipment distribution, also scheduling trucks to pickup & also deliver equipment to various locations on land and at sea. my office was also the reporting and assistance of injuries employees, also my office took care of all emergency, i.e.. Oil Spills, accidents (employees or equipment). hardest part of job would be dealing with an injured person. most enjoyable part of job would be c0-workers.
Pros
interactive with everyone
Excellent Organization
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 15, 2017
I worked for Occidental for nearly 20 years and was given outstanding opportunities to develop my capabilities and experience in finance and accounting. I worked with exceptionally talented people throughout my career and cannot say enough about the outstanding people at Oxy!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Occidental Petroleum. Our community is ready to answer.